Saturday, July 4, 2020

When they see us

It's my favorite holiday! 

 I should still be on that Woodloch high, meaning we would have  returned last night exhausted and elated and counting down the 365 days 'til the return trip.

I'm still setting the clock, knowing that the  2021 vacation  will be magical and safer, but I'm also going to have some fireworks today, courtesy of Lin Manuel Miranda.

Then I'm going to enjoy some quality pool time with my gang and a BBQ that will satisfy the most ardent fan of this holiday.

 (Better find that fresh Jersey  corn early, Jim!)

Life gave me lemons and today, I'm gonna make lemonade. With sugar on the rim of the glass, like they do at lemonade stands on the boardwalk.

And I'll blast all that happy music that'll make me want to swim and dance--the kind that tanned and toned staff at Club Med would groove to around the pool, making moves for their "Sun Dance", steps  that I could never quite master.  

Bring on the "Hands Up!"  The "Blame it on the Boogie!"  The "Free From Desire!"

I plan to take a few moments to bless all those who have served our country, who make celebration possible, even in a pandemic.

I'll take a sobering few minutes to rehash with Jim our viewing experience yesterday, as we finally finished watching "When They See Us."

I could barely breathe when it ended and I couldn't see from all the sobbing.

I'm complaining about being imprisoned for a few months because of a virus that affected the entire world, these youths were imprisoned for YEARS over a crime they did not commit.

The injustice is gut-wrenching.

Our president's role in the injustice is unforgivable.

But today is about family, fun, fireworks.

Disco and dancing.

Swimming and sun.

And corn.

  For the love of all things good, let there be corn

Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment