Thursday, September 3, 2020

Bye bye Avalon

My last vacation blog in 2020!

Or..ever...??

(I'm trying to be optimistic.  It's not easy)

I'll still post updates on Facebook.

Like:

"I went to the laundry room today!"

"Wanna see a photo of Jim's dinner?"

"Why aren't you watching "Schitt's Creek" yet?"

Blogging makes me realize how much I miss traveling, and over-eating, and sleeping without an over-sexed poodle,

It really was the best day yet, despite the current downpour that made us seek shelter in the hotel room we'll probably be in until check-out time tomorrow.

My nerves were calmer.
The waves were calmer.

The kids in the pool??  Not so much.

Jim and I were following the signs placed all over the pool area to "stay with your pod", which we were doing, seated on a ledge in the deep end having a heated political discussion.

An eight year old swims right up to us, shouting to her friend in the  adjacent hot tub:  "Julia! Julia! Julia!"

Jim tried to swat her away, like I swat cigarette smokers, and I yell:  "Yo!  Julia's friend!  What's so important that we had to be exposed to these droplets?  Answer please..I have all day"

Julia squints at me and says:  "Is your name Karen?"

The day started off so sweet too, with Jim picking me up a bite-sized donut called a Robert Brulee.

He like these trips into town, but they make me sad.  I see  obviously popular "Family Restaurants" that should have lines snaking around the corner on this night before the last hurrah, Labor Day weekend.

  Instead we see "take out only."

I don't know the owners and never will, but that doesn't mean I don't feel their pain.

Last night's blog mentioned something I usually mention on December 31st, which is the five highlights of the year.

Call me a masochist as I list the five lowlights(so far) in the year 2020:

1)  Covid-19.  There's not much more to say about that..except..EVERYTHING, which I don't have the energy to do just now.

2) Derrick Chauvin.  He caused damage that may never be undone.

3) Superstorm Isaiah, or whatever the hell it was called.  As much as I've been complaining about this(mostly enjoyable) getaway, it is a lot better than when Jim took off that first week in August, where all we did the entire week was try to find a way to watch the last seventeen minutes and forty-two seconds of the Emmy-deserving "Unbelievable." Damn you, Optimum!

4) My dear next door neighbor's relocation.  Yes, she moved only a mile or so away, but I'll miss her wisdom and goodness; her ability to trim my bangs and set my tables like Martha Stewart would.  She left some pretty big (designer) shoes to fill.

5) The fifth lowlight of this awful year was being stuck in a crowded audience to see one of the last live offerings at Count Basie Theater.  I couldn't help but wonder why they chose to stage this dreadful drag show, which was designed to be a salute to "Sex and the City" but in reality was something that a theater aficionado might blame as the REAL reason for all theaters going dark since March.

I 'll end my last blog entry  like I usually do, with a Broadway song, and since I associate this town of Avalon with "Camelot", that's the melody I'll use--even 'though I JUST used it when Kamala Harris became Joe Biden's veep.

Ready?

A law was made a distance June ago here/some towns would open up past dusk to dawn/but now it's time to sing a different tune here: In Avalon! 

Stay six feet distance from a fellow guest here/you must resist that urge to party on/'though masking's often taxing, ("do your best, dear!") in Avalon!

Avalon! Avalon!
With its blue waves and its blue skies!
In Avalon! Avalon! Be sure to sanitize!
And hope the virus dies!

It's nice to get a break from Covid-stressing
to dress in something other then..P.J'S...
It's not too long a drive..
(I hope we're still alive)
in two weeks..!!!!
let's survive
these days we've spent..in..Avalon!

No comments:

Post a Comment