The Delta strain is putting a damper on my optimism.
The relentless rains have caused the pool to flood, making it possibly unusable until the time we need to close it.
There are tornadoes in nearby towns and all entertaining plans are on hold due to virus concerns.
I tried to remain cheerful.
All the Tuesday night shows I look forward to all week were unwatchable, with frozen frames and blocky images and a fast forward button that could not move.
It's okay..a friend from Chicago filled me in on the results of "America's Got Talent" (and those shockingly unjust eliminations) and as far as "Big Brother"..well, I shouldn't be following that one in the first place.
Or confessing that I do.
I missed my insipid games shows as well. I could not see how much damage the "whammy" did do anyone of those masochists(aka contestants) tonight, and I still don't know why I follow the "Pyramid." When I was a contestant on the show in 1977, it was a real, honest-to-goodness GAME show, not a platform for inane sexual double entendres, and clueless players who haven't a clue about their clues.
So what did we do to cheer ourselves up from all the grief caused by tornadoes and plagues and malfunctioning machinery and a poodle with a full bladder who refused to go outside?
We watched two episodes of a show about murder, abortion, infidelity, depression, Tourette's syndrome, sexism, homophobia, racism..and..it totally lifted our spirits.
Because it's so 'effin GOOD!
Our friend Julia highly recommended this wonderful Hulu series, and as always, her recommendations are spot on.
Check out "Horace and Pete" if you've got the guts and the maturity to deal with such heavy issues.
It is depressing and disturbing and... hilarious. It is the kind of high drama you'd pay a lot of money for to see in a theater.
I'm used to seeing Alan Alda play lovable characters--and ONLY that. He is brutal here, and his acting is superb.
Credit goes to creator, writer, director Louis CK.
It's powerful stuff.
I'm as supportive of the #Metoo movement as anyone else is--especially a feminist--and it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that Louis CK is not one of the good guys.
Not if he can write like this.
I felt this way about him ever since he created the part of Vanessa for plus-sized actress Sarah Baker in his own show. Plus sized women compared him to Rosa Parks.
Nobody who hates women could write like this, nobody.
We've got a few more episodes to go. You really do feel like you're watching live drama unfold before your very eyes, but I think what I like most about the series is how totally unpredictable it is.
Just when you think you know what's coming next, you realize you're as clueless as a contestant on this new, sullied version of a classic game show like "Pyramid."
Be prepared to gasp a lot. And to use your remote's pause button, as you ask yourself, or whoever is watching it with you, "did that just happen?? Really??"
To paraphrase a singing Mark Wahlberg in "Ted".."f*ck, you, thunder!!"
You didn't rain on my parade that much tonight.
Thanks to our little visit to that seedy Brooklyn bar..
No comments:
Post a Comment