Monday, January 23, 2023

Blonde bomb

Still trying to see as many movies as possible before tomorrow's Oscar nominations come out.

Absolutely hated "Blonde".... because I didn't drop acid before I watched it on Netflix. 

Experts say Ana de Armas will get one of the five spots for Best Actress, but I'm not sure.

 If there's a shocker in the category, I think it may be Lesley Manville for the forgotten but enchanting "Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris." 

 It's a two-way race anyway, between Michelle Yeoh and Cate Blanchett. 

 I can't imagine Cate not winning.

I also saw a great contender, this time in an actual theater.

"Women Talking" sounds like a very talky movie, and it is, but I'd rather hear snappy, smart dialogue any day than see  gratuitous car crashes.

It's a wonderful movie, set in a barn, and at first, it was a little hard to follow who was who, since everyone dressed alike and all had these complicated Mennonite names where my trick of coming up with mnemonics to remember characters' names wasn't even working.

Mennonites, mnemonics..tomato, to-mah-to. 

I'm nit-picking..the movie is a must see.

Both movies have a lot to say about how certain men view certain women, men who should know better.

Like religious leaders..and beloved Presidents.

This is the least predictable Oscar race I've seen in years, in all but one category,  but maybe my opinion will change after the SAG awards are given out.

Get your scorecards ready, movie fans!

And be prepared to lose your Oscar office pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment