Happy New Year to me! And everyone reading this!
Tonight I will don an evening gown(and who knows what will be on my feet--they'll be hidden) and feel like a princess.
Not a Disney princess, probably.
More like an insecure neurotic hot mess that just kind of lucked out.
It'll feel like Times Square, but it'll be warm in my reserved seat, and there will be no spoiled superstar storming off the set and screwing up lyrics.. There will be a midnight buffet and a big gala and my big ass heart and soul can't wait to participate in everything. (Well, maybe not EVERY thing)
Last night: From Piccachu to Pokemon to Power Puff Girls, from Ren and Stimpy to the Simpsons, from Belle to Furby to Pearl Jam, I was transported back to the pre-9/11 90's...a time of innocence, a time of hope, a time when my beautiful mature niece made her entrance at the decade's start.
Various characters showed up as Jim and I and Todd and Marissa feasted on four-star meals. Even Waldo showed up. I greeted him with, "Oh..I've been looking for you"
The room was festive with all things 1990's--it really was a good era.
Todd, for once, was almost too excited to eat as he was following football. The resort's owner was summoned to our table for "an emergency"..Patrick darted over because Todd desperately needed to hug another Eagles' fan. (Patrick was quite receptive) And when the talented comic gave a shout out to the Eagles on stage, you could almost smell the soft pretzels and water ice in the room. (Only it would be pronounced "w-u-d-d-e-r ice" and anyone reading this who didn't grow up in Philly would know I'm referring to what everyone else calls "Italian Ice.")
The comic was awesome..I thought Jim was going to burst something when the guy did his schtick about sounds old guys make. Something like "they sound like they swallowed a pine cone."
Marissa and Todd loved the music a lot more than we did, although I certainly knew some of the music from TV and movies and Broadway from those years. It was only the second performance of this brand new show and they have to work out a few kinks,(hey..were the Kinks big in the 90's?) which I'm sure they'll do by our return trip in June.
There's a lot to do today..The Amazing Race and the competitive Gingerbread Wars, but I'm in the mood to exercise my brain with a Cash Cab game. Or maybe some pool and hot tub indulgence.
There is something so special about being here with a packed house--packed with like-minded people who love all things Woodloch as much as I do,
The joy and camaraderie will be something that'll seem not of this planet by the time the clock struck midnight.
Let the countdown begin..
No comments:
Post a Comment