Saturday, July 27, 2019

Saving Private Fido

OK folks..you lovers of my travel blogs and  humor in general

..Have I got a doozy for you!!

Today is a big day..the long awaited summer pool party with my Philly friends. 

 Haven't seen some of them in a while,  and we're all looking forward to their company..we have great weather, a sparkling pool, and about 1000 shish kebabs that I spent a good part of last night skewing. 

There are many stresses when planning a party..like, how  the new bathtub we've been waiting for for three months finally shows up... yesterday!!!...but it can't be used yet..!

I'm getting derailed.  let me get back on track.

So everyone who is coming today knows(or has read) the same Luke stories you have, but I was still encouraging everyone to bring their canine family members. 

 Luke will behave(I'm HOPING) and the crowd who are traveling for ninety minutes can stay longer if they don't have to worry about rushing home for a pet..

So the shish kebobs are skewered and the burgers and dogs and salsa and chips are ready..everything is ready.

My poor BFF is coming with her broken arm and her husband and her big black Lab.  (I will post video of Luke's reaction when he sees Rocky....stay tuned) 

 Jim and Larry are coming with their adorable Zane, after much discussion.

So here I am, the hostess trying to stay calm until the guests arrive, and then suddenly  the phone rings.

It is Jim, going for his normal walk on this normal day.

He says"I don't know exactly what street I am on, but a big German Shepherd is dashing in and out of cars..I can't get close enough to see a tag, but the German Shepherd almost got hit at least three times!"

I say, "you will be too traumatized to host a party if you see a dog get hit in front of your eyes!"

He tries to ditch the shepherd but to no avail..it's following his every move, but bringing him home WAS NOT AN OPTION.  Not with Zane and Rocky coming. 

 Not with Luke being the tyrannical canine occupant of this house.

A neighbor yells to Jim, "is that dog yours?" and Jim answers, "I've never seen him before in my life!"

The neighbor opines:  "I THINK that's my neighbor's dog...and points to a magnificent estate in the pricey Holmdel area of Monmouth County

Jim walks up to the mansion and rings the bell..nobody answers.  The German Shepherd runs into the open garage(now remember, we're only taking the word of the lawn-mowing guy that this dog actually DOES live here!)  and then Jim sees a wheelbarrow full of garden supplies..and a mercilessly yapping small dog that he believed to be a pug..

He checked for appendages..both were females.

Neither dog will let him leave!  He is being held hostage in a stranger's mansion in Holmdel.

I need him home!  The pool needs to be vacuumed..the grill needs to be primed.

Evan offered to drive over, to coax the strange dog out of the mansion and into the car..but then he might be charged with  dognapping!!

I finally call the non-emergency number of the Holmdel police, and Jim, who could not find an address, found a general location using his Maps app

Rochelle calls, asking me if there are steps for poor arthritic  Rocky to use or if there's  only a ladder, and I answer her, honestly, and this is word for word, "Yes, but Jim is being held hostage in a garage  by a German Shepherd and a pug who we THINK live in the mansion and the police are en route but have no address!"

I bet no hostess in this county, state, or even country are uttering  those words before  a long planned pool party.

Maybe at best someone's telling someone  else to go get ice.

Bottom line:  Jim is home.  The police investigation has been aborted..for now.

The German Shepherd and yapping "pug" are in a gated part of the mansion that  might not even be where they live. 

I don't know how Jim coaxed the shepherd to follow him into the fenced in area. .

 He takes nothing on these walks but his wallet, phone, and keys.  He didn't even have a pen or a piece of paper to which to leave a note in the McMansion.

But I have my suspicions about  what Jim used for bait.

I just checked the 'fridge...there are only 999 uncooked  kebabs...

No comments:

Post a Comment