Sunday, June 14, 2020

The queen of Aberdeen

I so desperately needed that good old fashioned date night, the kind that felt like the second Saturday in June felt like  last year, and every year since we met, and I finally had something close to it tonight.

I spent the afternoon in the pristine pool, started a book heavily recommended by my son that was made into a wonderful movie, "The Disaster Artist", and had some good  take-out comfort food from Perkins.

We spent a good portion of the day browsing through family  beach rentals within driving distance, hoping for that miracle that will make it possible to actually go somewhere by the summer's end.

Best of all, we saw a TERRIFIC movie that reminded us of something we'd see in a REAL theater, smelling REAL popcorn and overly-perfumed theater-goers, drinking one quarter of the over-sized Diet Cokes that we should have never ordered in the first place.

I felt like I was wearing shoes and undergarments and clothes that still fit while lugging around my oversized handbag, and OK, I was actually  going commando in my most comfy cotton nightgown with my feet propped up in a recliner, but we selected a movie that felt like a genuine summer hit, a pre-virus little gem we'd normally  see on opening weekend in a freezing cinema.

I highly recommend "The King of Staten Island." 

 Jim wanted to see it because of star Pete Davidson, I was interested because it was directed by Judd Apatow, and the movie did not disappoint.

Funny and poignant with twists and turns..it had a "Saturday Night Fever" vibe without the Bee Gees soundtrack.  

Pete Davison is more than just that nut job on SNL..he showed some real acting chops here.

And unlike in the theater I so desperately miss, Jim could laugh as loud as he wanted, put the movie on pause, replay it, laugh again, and not worry about disturbing anyone else in the auditorium.

I miss movies and the movie-going experience,  but seeing something good and satisfying  like we did tonight makes the loss a little more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment