Friday, February 18, 2022

I enjoy being a girl

I dunno, is waning cynicism a sign of aging, like having  a clumsier gait and finding stray hairs in places you don't want to find  them?

Because I usually go to rom-coms just to scoff and make fun of them, and I today, I did not.

Because today, Tami and I saw "Marry Me" and it was absolutely terrific!

 So terrific that I couldn't find a single thing to criticize.

The impossible plot worked and became not only possible, but plausible. 

(first rule of screenplay writing:  The plot can be impossible, but never improbable.  This was the most valuable thing I learned in college)

The chemistry between leads Jennifer Lopez and Owen Wilson was totally palpable, and the title song will be hummed by me and my fellow matinee moviegoers  for the next few hours--if not days.

I've been feeling girlier than usual these days, which I attribute to rewatching all the episodes of "Sex and the City", which I'm only doing because I loved the "And Just Like That.."  updated version.

I'm loving the fashions!  The friendships!  The filthy language!

(Not loving??  The fattism!  Talk about needed to be woke!!!..c'mon Charlotte, John Corbett does not have a "tummy issue" in his portrayal of Aidan, and there's worse things to dig up on Big's wife, Natasha, then the fact she was ten pounds overweight in college)

Back to "Marry Me"..it is the perfect Valentine's week release, the thinking gal's "Beauty and the Beast."

(Although I still think Owen Wilson is adorable, and he does not need rhinoplasty.  They might, however,  have considered casting a better looking pooch, but Owen is just fine)

Great backstories, great fashion, smart dialogue, and some well-earned happy tears.

What's next for the girlier me?

A Gucci bag?  Stilettos?  Hair extensions?

I'll tell you, the day I look at a handbag as something other than an eighty-pound container for all my stray pens and pocket sized notebooks and tangled combs and  expired cough drops and loose change is the day I write to Gloria Steinem, begging for forgiveness for betraying feminism.

(Bad example--she's a very attractive  fashionista)

I actually love a good romantic comedy.

It makes me truly believe... in love, actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment