yesterday was a great day to be a pop culture fan--so much so that like a kid who spent the day at Disney, I just wanted to crawl into bed from exhaustion..or throw up, but that Spinach Dip we shared at the Greek place was so freaking delicious that I'd only allow it to leave my body through a surgical procedure.
We watched all but one of the documentary shorts at home yesterday, and all but one fell a little..short.
We are both enamored with the Live Action Shorts that we saw last week, and we usually LOVE the documentary offers, but this particular crop was nothing special, with the exception of "The Queen of Basketball" which we loved and are hoping it wins, even 'though the announcement of the shorts winners won't be televised. We'll catch the last one when it's released after the Oscars have already aired.
We then ventured off to an almost empty movie theater to see "Cyrano", which I had been putting off for awhile, because I have the attention span of a flea when it comes to long, draggy period pieces, which "Cyrano" certainly..was not.
It was a terrific movie, evoking the emotions I felt watching "Titanic" or "Les Miserables" or even "Beauty and the Beast."
I read the novel in high school, like everyone else, and I was always curious as to why he never got rhinoplasty, and then I realized the story took place in the 17th century.
But I always thought: Would a large nose really deter a beautiful woman from accepting the undying love of a magical poet? Especially since long noses could indicate long...
Okay, I DIDN'T think that in HS--or ever--but it was clever for this film's creators to make the physical challenges center around his height and not his honker.
Peter Dinklage is hot..really hot. One look at him waving that sword while spouting pearls of wisdom like a walking thesaurus made me really..really..interested in him.
Plus..I don't know why I didn't realize in advance that this was a MUSICAL, and the music and lyrics were terrific, an observation I made in my head long before I realized the actress who played Roxanne dazzled us a
decade earlier in "Music and Lyrics."
And then my imagination went a little wild--I hadn't had the spinach dip yet--as I wondered what it would be like to have a female Cyrano, the plain or chunky looking poet who'd win the hearts and souls of men anonymously by feeding the cheerleader witty dialogue, until I realized I WAS that Cyrano--(Cyrana? Cyranina??) every time I double dated with the petite fashionistas, and both of our dates loved my humor but only wanted to be with the knockout at the end of the night.
Also, Jim reminded me that Cyrano really needs to be a male, even one with a physical imperfection, even 'though males NEVER get rejected because of that. Big noses give them character: big guts make them cuddly bears.
Rant over..I'm thinking of the spinach dip again...
We ended the pop culture happy day with a visit with Mrs. Maisel, and while we both agreed the episodes are improving weekly, it's still a little contrived and cartoonish.
The most cartoonish character of all being Susie Meyers -Griffin, (and yes, I did that on purpose.)
We should have quit while we were ahead but we tuned into SNL(up to the newscast) and regretted it immediately.
From last week's gift, courtesy of John Mulaney, Oscar Isaac gives us talking skin tags that morphed into meatballs.
OK..maybe he didn't personally write that awful sketch..but I'm still mad at him for the way he treated Jessica Chastain in "Scenes From a Marriage."
I hope she ignores this Oscar when she wins that other Oscar in three weeks..although he wouldn't be in an acceptance speech anyway.
If she mentioned him, it would only be part of a smear campaign by her character, Tammy Faye..
OK..I'm annoying myself now.
Time to catch up on life in the real world.
The reel world can wait...
No comments:
Post a Comment