Saturday, November 19, 2022

She said

What a day to be a feminist, said she, said me, as we type this without a bra, without makeup, and without a misogynistic husband who, if he notices these things, doesn't say a word about them.

The day started off on a very high note,  as we finished the six part series on Netflix called "The Girls at the Back" which is absolutely marvelous.

There's a big feminist element, naturally, and lots of female bonding, and a  beautiful seaside settings in Cardiz, Spain.  

Think "Sex and the City" but with less emphasis on vanity necklaces and more poop talk. 

And just like that, everyone will be comparing these shows, and as much as I'm a fan of the aforementioned franchise,  the European version knocked my socks off.

It's "SATC" with a bucket list and a who-dunnit, or more specifically, a "who is it?"

This is not a spoiler alert, as the opening scenes show all five women shaving their heads in solidarity, to honor the friend among them who has recently been diagnosed with cancer, but the c-word is forbidden to be discussed during their getaway, so we have no idea who is about to have the life-changing chemotherapy that will potentially have an effect on all of them. 

 (Note:  Jim and I both guessed incorrectly)

It's poignant and funny and so, so smart.. Everything is dubbed in English, but there're also subtitles.

I just love that the women talk so openly about real stuff.  There's not a small talker among them.  Nobody talks about returning tea towels to Target, or chauffeuring a great aunt to the dermatologist, or  having a shortage of folding chairs at their last gathering.  (Yeah..I hear all of this inane  crap, all of the time)

There women are vulgar and raw and so damn likable..even when they're kind of pathetic.

It's a wonderful show in a breath-taking setting.  I want to be invited on their next trip, if only I were as cool as them.

I'm on a feminist high already, and then we went to see "She Said" and I felt like I was literally going to shatter a glass ceiling.

This is a terrific movie--think "All the Presidents Men" or "Spotlight"..it's THAT good, and even 'though all the gross and sordid details about Harvey Weinstein's life are still fresh in my memory, it was sheer joy to see these bad-assed reporters take him down.

I felt so proud to be female: to be a feminist: to have a degree in Journalism, 'though I'm hardly an investigative reporter who gives criminals who head companies their due..

I interview people and ask  questions like, "come on..I'm trying to write a song for your Mom's eightieth birthday..surely you can give me a little more than "she likes her family??" and they add something like, "well..she REALLY likes her family..and she puts fresh pineapples on her ham" and I think, "yep..I'll work with that" and  then I write several original lyrics to a song from "Oklahoma!" and call it a day.

But I wish I could do the kind of work that the journalists played by Zoe Kazan and Carey Mulligan did in this movie.

Let's hear it for my fellow women. 

I'm about to burn one of those bras I never wear...or  I'll vow to not shave my legs for a month.

Nah..I won't.

I just had a very very satisfying day with my screen choices.

I enjoy being a girl..a not too girly-girly girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment