I have been an absolute lunatic these past few days, there's no need to point it out.
My nerves are frayed, my nails are frayed, my cowlick is mercilessly laughing at me, and I missed an easy Wordle today.
I cannot stop replaying horrid scenarios in my head, even though I want to ..and sort of.... don't want to??
Last night I was screaming at the idiots on "Celebrity Jeopardy" as 'though they could actually hear me. Alex Trebek would not have tolerated these inane, witless comments from the peanut gallery via "celebrities" who couldn't even get the answer right if the question was, "what's your name?" or.."what's your name, and respond without a stupid side comment if that's possible?"
Yes, I've been a lunatic, sharing thousands of videos that make me believe that the guy who spends a fortune on masking tape and crepe paper and balloons and bags of cookies every week to create wonderful family game nights could actually make every grey sky turn blue; could one day result in less war.
Like there's a kid primed for terrorism somewhere who says, "Gee Dad..what do you say we put the bomb making kit aside for now and just play with these cool water guns?" and the Dad says, "sure kiddo..let's have some laughs and some family camaraderie and nobody will ever be pissed off again about a mosque."
Sometimes I can take tragic global news with a grain of salt, other times I cannot.
I cried for a week when the Challenger exploded in 1986.
I sent Yoko a four page letter after the senseless assassination of an icon, hoping it would reach her, even though I addressed the envelope with just her name and "The Dakota, New York City."
I couldn't watch coverage of Sandy Hook, especially when I initially believed it was the Sandy Hook here in New Jersey, the one with the nude beach. The one I accidentally stumbled upon years ago, in autumn, and befriended the Big Kahuna, telling him I'd be too self conscious to come here on purpose, to which he replied, "lady..you'd be the skinniest woman here if you did."
I sent poems about every victim to Sandy Hook Elementary, because it's all I felt I could do. (Besides becoming an anti-gun protester who has made donations to the right causes.)
I was all consumed by 9/11 coverage, crying non-stop, making my shy kid, then six years old, hug the mom of his classmate who made a brave escape from the 86th floor.
I'm emotional to begin with, but there are some things that gut me, and I need to share my thoughts in a public forum.
So thanks for baring with me as I bare my soul.
I did not write customized lyrics to "Hatikvah" to boast about my aptitude for rhyming, or to compete with Stephen Sondheim. I did so because the big 'ole heart I wear on my sleeve told me to do so.
At 2:00 AM.
While the rest of the world tried to sleep.
Jim and I reminded Alexa to play "Hatikvah" at 9:18, EST, last night, and we will do this every night.
We will try to find peace in our hearts, even when peace in the world is like searching for a needle in a haystack.
Hug your kids, even if they're grown-ups.
Buy that crepe paper and set up a maze on your kitchen table.
Do whatever it takes...and remember to Stand for Israel.
Today, tomorrow, and always.
Shalom,
Karen..
No comments:
Post a Comment