Monday, January 1, 2024

A tribute to 2023

Goodbye, 2023, you nasty little bitch.

(Globally.  You've been very mean when it comes to international  events, but I have to admit, kind of  nice to me on a personal level)

It's been  the year of.. reflection!

(Yeah, mirror..I SEE you!  Wanna make something of it?  The solution is..NOT a re-solution, I promise you that)

It's been  the year of.. inspection!

(Yeah Jim..you CAN  toss out the Sports Illustrated issue from 2008.  I love all this purging and beautifying the house, but I love it more when you do all the labor and I just veg and bark orders)

It's been  the year of.. connections!

(But screw you, NY Times!  Don't make me crazy by demanding I name ONLY four weekdays when you clearly  offer FIVE, and then force me to use brain power to decide "Wednesday" is not just a week day but an Addams family character)

It's been  a year of great connections outside-of-that-puzzle-box  too. 

After eighteen long years, we returned to the special place where we  first realized we'd be each others ride or die forever--Ogunquit, Maine.  We hadn't seen our terrific cousins Reid and Joni in over seven  years, but they showed us that fun adult company goes beyond sharing small plates and small talk--it's not even their home state yet they planned an exciting and memorable itinerary.

It was another year of family connections in Woodloch, when we all came to the conclusion that my six year old great nephew was more hilarious than any comic who gets paid to perform in the nightclub.

It was connecting to Elvis fans in Graceland, and even 'though we had  never personally crowned the King, we loved our  American River Cruise that started in Memphis. ..and lived vicariously through his super fans.

It was  reconnecting in Cancun, beautifully decorated for the holidays, filled with blog-worthy special moments, and daily cursing at those uncooperative weather gods.

It's  been connecting to wonderful comics that we love, like Jim Gaffigan and Colin Mocherie/Brad Sherwood and lots more entertaining nights in local theaters.

It's been  connecting to movie fans, as there was so much greatness on the silver screen this year, which gifted us early in the season with gems like "Somewhere in Queens" and "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret" and spiking our Oscar fever at the end of the year with "The Holdovers" and "Barbie" and "The Color Purple" and even those Oscar-buzz-worthy films I usually don't go gaga over, like "Flowers of the Killer Moon" and "Anatomy of a Fall" and "Poor Things."

Oh..and unforgettable treasures like "Dicks! The Musical!" and "80 For Brady" and "Cocaine Bear" and..just wanted to see if you're still with me.

(I should have just written a generic New Year's post, like every normal person on Facebook did)

Reflection..inspection..connection..and unparalleled joy in our hearts, knowing that Evan refused to give up on finding  that elusive love connection, leading him to the fabulous Michelle shortly before Valentines Day.

Let's welcome 2024 with open hearts and open minds, with joy and laughter, with mini getaways and mini cupcakes...with health, happiness, and hope for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment