Monday, February 24, 2025

Pop culture nirvana

Seems like I've been waiting forever for that elusive perfect weekend, but I finally got it.

The year is young but that doesn't mean it hasn't been a train wreck thus far. 

 Thankfully, not for me or anyone I know  personally, but the world has been a little bit.. let's say...chaotic.

First of all, if you ever get the chance to see Bob Scott and his traveling Game Show in your town, I suggest you book the event as soon as possible. 

 I had never heard of him..the event at a country club I had never been to just showed up on my feed one day and it sounded interesting. 

 It was also a chance to introduce our favorite Philly couple to our favorite New Jersey one, since the venue was almost equidistant. 

 The brunch served was standard and the acoustics were less than desirable  for ice-breaking conversation, but it somehow.. worked. 

 We  also had two random couples that didn't know each other at our table, but they were a nice fit as well. After showing us a short video of classic game show bloopers and classic answers, (Remember "Family Feud" when Richard Dawson asked the naive contestant, "in what month does a woman's pregnancy start to show?" and she answered "September?  Epic!!) 

 After some side splitting  laughs, the actual competitive games began, and the frenetic  emcee played so well with the audience.

  There was "Family Feud" and "Wheel of Fortune" and something called "Everybody Says", a take on "Outburst" that was highly interactive, (even 'though our table got stuck with the category, "things related to elves, which is as ridiculous as it sounds, especially since I initially misread elves as Elvis) but there was also  something in my personal wheelhouse, "The Pyramid." 

 I panicked a little when I saw the only remaining  category, "boxing" but my genius partner was so in tune that we were the only team to score the maximum points.

 And our entire table won the grand prize! 

 Dinky trophies, but also  gift certificates too, that we'll use for a future dinner at the country club, where my to besties can meet up again without competing with clinking glasses and background noise and drunks on the competing team who used 25 of their allotted thirty seconds by describing "Titanic" as "it was a big ship..a boat..it was in the water..it had people on it" 

 (I'm barely exaggerating, but I'm still secretly apologizing to Kate and Leo on their behalf)

This was also the weekend of Pop Culture Nirvana, as we finished Season Three of what's now regarded as one of our favorite series of all time, "Younger." 

Jim has a wild crush on Sutton Foster and so do I. 

Girl crushes at my age are totally normal, especially if that girl is Sutton Foster.

We also spent the weekend watching the five films that have Oscar nominations under the short" category.  These films were live action, and your mind doesnt wander because none of the five films are over thrty minutes in length.  They're all very powerful too, even more so than some of the feature length films that received nominations. We especially loved the ones centered around immigration and  illegal poaching of rhino horns  in South Africa. 

 Riveting!

We also got our pop culture fix with Episode Two of Season Three of "The White Lotus", which is setting us up for something great, which we streamed  after we watched the SAG awards, which will probably make next week's Oscar telecast boring and predictable.

I'm not excited about most of the sure bets but as they say in show biz, "that's show biz."

Thanks to the  calendar gods for giving me a great weekend.

 Something to blog about. Something to give me hope. Something that makes me smile when I relive it.

Here's to budding friendships, game show nostalgia, and good old fun times! 

 Because we all deserve them in this scary world we're all  living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment