to my fellow Aquarians (and to Pisces as well):
We're experiencing something new in 2021--pandemic birthdays.
Most of our zodiac friends have already been through this--drive by parades, zoom parties, marking milestones with just one family member.
Or maybe marking the milestone with just one candle, one cupcake, one person, the lonely honoree.
My Big One--the Social Security one--is still just under a week away, and if you read my posts regularly, you know I've been in a pandemic funk, like everyone else.
(The veil was lifted two days ago, with the swearing in of someone who can and will turn things around, but that's an entirely different kind of optimism and celebration)
I thought the only kind of party I could anticipate this year was a pity one, and I was fine with it.
Or at least, I made peace with it.
I haven't left the house since Thanksgiving except for a few medical appointments.
(Now I sound OFFICIALLY like a geriatric--talking about doctor visits)
There's absolutely nothing wrong--except for the stress of waiting for (generic!) stress tests results. It's been over a week, and I really don't feel like facing that treadmill and its warped speed again.
But I digress.
Of course, I'm looking forward to getting the vaccine. I'm on a list..but the list is as long as Trump's naughty list.
I long to travel again, and to blog about my exotic journeys, but at this rate, I'm afraid my journey will only be on a gurney..perhaps with a Sanders meme.
(A journey on a gurney with Bernie)
I've already been deluged with early birthday wishes and generic cards and run of the mill phone calls..mostly from mid-eastern men who want to discuss my car insurance.
All appreciated but the last item, of course.
Flash forward to today, when a package arrives, addressed to me.
I couldn't imagine who could possibly be sending me anything--yet alone what the contents could possibly be. I haven't sent--or received--a package in years.
Luke gets biscuits(that he turns into weapons on a nightly basis) but I don't get anything but bills.
So imagine my SHEER delight when I opened the bag and saw the second best gift I've ever gotten in my life.
(The first was at my Sweet 16 in 1972. My cousin Andy threw me off course by presenting a fairly heavy box, and I took my Mom's bait when she said it contained "pajamas and a heavy robe". I've got 8 milimeter proof somewhere, but imagine my utter joy when I unwrapped the box to not uncover pajamas, but something I'd use while WEARING pajamas..my own TV! A black and white portable that was mine alone, for my bedroom, for an indulgence in "The Dick Cavett Show" every night! A surprise gift from my brothers!)
The luckiest sister in the world just got the second best surprise gift of a lifetime..third if you count the TV as the 2nd, and having a sibling like him as the first!)
I will totally treasure forever that warm, snugly blanket, decked with photos of every important memory from my sixty-five years on this planet.
You included everything that ever made me happy!
So next time I get those pandemic blues, I'll pick myself up, dust myself off, treat the blanket like Linus treats his... and be truly grateful for my terrific brother..and his amazing wife and kids!
You guys are the best!
No comments:
Post a Comment