Saturday, February 13, 2021

Notorious RZB.. The phone call revisited.

"The Phone Call--Revisited"

The Time:  Morning-Present Day
The Place: ????

Fade In

ACT I SCENE I

WE HEAR THE RINGING OF A TELEPHONE, MOST LIKELY A ROTARY MODEL, AS "KAREN" (AKA "ME"), SIXTIES, DISHEVELED, RUSHES IN TO ANSWER ON THE FIFTH RING

ME:  (A LITTLE BREATHLESS) Hello?
MOM: What's wrong? Why'd it take you so long to answer?
ME: Nothing's wrong!  My God! We talk..what is it..once a year?  You've been gone for SEVEN years, and you STILL insist something's wrong, even 'though you're not here to see it?
MOM:  I SENSE it.  I SENSE it in my bones. (BEAT) Thank God I wasn't cremated.
ME: Everything is totally fine Mom. (BEAT) Although..maybe that's not exactly totally true
MOM:  I KNEW it.  You can't hide anything from me, Karen Randi!'
ME: OK..NOW you can use both names.  I don't know how much news you get where you are, but some racist ruined the "Karen" part.
MOM:  So I was right!  Something IS wrong.  (BEAT) You and Jim had a fight..
ME:  Why is that your go to place?  Couples fight--we're a couple. He leaves shoes all over the house: I leave lights on in rooms I'm not in.  We have words. We get over it
MOM:  So if you're not mad at Jim..then who?
ME: No one!  (BEAT) Everyone.  I'm in a funky pandemic funk. I do nothing but tell callers from a company called "Exotic Birds" that I don't care what they think about renewing my credit card. I sort junk mail, I try to get rid of unwanted spam on the computer and unwanted spam in the refrigerator.  And unwanted hair everywhere. I can't even do my job--singers can't sing when they're masked. 
MOM: That doesn't sound great.
ME:  Jim works from the upstairs office while I am isolated.  I haven't even driven a car in months.
MOM:  I lived that way for thirty seven years. (BEAT) How's Evan?
ME: He's doing great.  Moved out last spring. Doing well professionally and socially.
MOM: That kid never liked me.
ME:  Not true.  You're the grandparent he remembers. He thinks about you and cracks up.
MOM: But I always had trouble talking to him
ME: That's 'cause you didn't try
MOM:  He only wanted to talk about sports. I knew nothing about sports.
ME:  True..but you watched the news every day.  You read the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER every day. Don't you remember that time I told you to study up?  That this would be a good thing to talk to Evan about? All the coverage about that player on the Philadelphia Eagles football team and all that controversy?
MOM:  I remember this.  I couldn't say his name. 
ME:  I know you couldn't.  That's why I coached you. You didn't HAVE to remember"Terrell Owens", nobody called him that. (BEAT)  Remember how I instructed you to just ask about "T.O.?" and that Evan would do all the talking? 
MOM:  Sorta...
ME:  I told you, "all you have to say when you get into the car is, "Evan..what do you think about T.O?  T.O..T.O..T.O...
Mom:  Isn't that what I said?
Me:  Nope..you got in the car and said, "Tell me your opinion about "O.T."
MOM: Oh yeah..
ME:  I miss family vacations.  Like the ones in Maine and Virginia Beach.
MOM:  I don't. I'd always get constipated.
ME: Don't they have bidets where you are?  They solve every geriatric issue, including that
MOM:  I don't like to talk about BM..
ME:..Oh..come on!
MOM:  I don't know if they have bidets. We're like the house on "The Brady Bunch."  We have showers--and sinks with mirrors if you need to brush your hair one hundred times daily--(BEAT) Some of the yentas from my building wound up here.  Some still have hair. And they love to talk about Carmella.
ME:  I'll assume you mean Kamala Harris, our new Vice President
MOM:  Yes, Carmella.  I like her.  She's pretty.
ME:  You'd LOVE her because of who she is, not what she looks like.
MOM:  I read all about her. She married a Jew who was bar mitzvahed the same place Evan was. (BEAT)  I hope Doug Emhoff wound up with more than one hour of blank tape.
ME:  Yeah..on days like this I'd love to see that video.  You were like a glittery peacock, beaming on that bima with your two sons.
MOM:  Oh..and while we're on the subject of famous Jews..guess who I ran into last week?  Here's your hint:  She's short. She's sassy.  She's Jewish.
ME:  That could be anyone--including you
MOM: She was at a JOWLS event
ME:  JOWLS?
MOM: "Jews: Our Women Love Sass"--that's right, Karen Randi, I met the notorious RZB!
ME:  RGB?
MOM:  That's what I said! 
ME:  No you didn't but never mind..if you know her, I have a pretty good feeling about where you are.
MOM:  I want to bedazzle her collar with butterflies and daisies
ME:  Of course you do
Mom:  Wanna hear my poem that I wrote about her?  (BEAT) "There once lived a gal on The Court/So fair and so brilliant and short!/We'll never forget/every challenge she met/that was faced with a clever retort.
ME:  I like it, Mom!  I also found out that her mother's maiden name was Amster!
Mom:  Where's you hear that?  My Face?  Intercourse?
ME:  Facebook.  Internet.
MOM:  I'll ask her if there's a family link. Aunt Ruby and I are going with her to the opera next week
ME:  Wow..you're lucky!
MOM:  I'm lucky that I'm not on your planet anymore?
ME:  You're lucky that you can still go to the opera with other spirits. You probably have musicals, and plays, and comedy shows..Football stadiums for Dad
MOM:  Where he can watch "T.O." play..see??  I KNEW I knew it!
ME:  We have none of those things anymore.
MOM:  Well darling daughter..why aren't you doing something about this?  You should be getting ready for the time that audiences come back.  You need to buckle down and WRITE
ME:  I know
MOM: And lose weight
ME:  I know
MOM: And call your family more
ME: I know
MOM:  And exercise something other than that mouth of yours.
ME:  I know
MOM:  And turn off lights when you leave a room.  It aggravates Jim
ME:  I know
MOM:  And you have to do something with your hair.  It's so wild now you can scrub pans with it.  And do something with those eyebrows.
ME: I know. (ASIDE TO AUDIENCE) Next year, she's getting the same old same old.  The " I can't believe it's been eight years ! cliche
ME:  And why are you spending so much money on books you don't read?  You need to eat more kale
ME:  I know
MOM:  I KNOW you know..you need to..
ME:  I'm hanging up now.  Send my regards to RBG..Speak to you next year.

FADE TO BLACK

No comments:

Post a Comment