Friday, May 13, 2022

May we enjoy the season

Welcome, merry month of May..I just wanted to give you a hug, even on this traditionally unlucky day, Friday the 13th,  the almost halfway point. 

You are the opposite of your cruel older sister, April, with all that dirty  rain and unpredictability and decades worth of tragedies that occur mid-month. (Google it..so many awful events have occurred in April)

I love the scent of lavender, the splashes of purple seen on the trees that hangover our neighbor's fence, the rain that you actually look forward to hearing pounding down  on your skylight..

I'm delighted  to shed my winter coat and put on the spring sweater, with the pockets still full of hotel key cards from past vacations, which was probably  the last time I wore the sweater..

May means Woodloch is just a month away, and that the pool opening is in a matter of weeks. 

 It takes  a few weeks to turn that horrid sludge into inviting clear pool  water, and Jim works those chemicals like he's Bill Nye, the Science Guy. 

The oases will be complete late summer, with a  new pool liner and the new pavers to cover the hideous patio cracks, but that doesn't mean I don't love May as much as I love July and August..

 I will patiently wait for perfection.

The very  best thing about May, 'though,  is that it gets me out of TV prison. 

 All the must-see shows are winding down, freeing up time to stream everything  people have been recommending for what seems like a decade.

And books..I can finally turn my Kindle into something other than a coaster.

(Except that's not true..I'd never use a Kindle as a coaster, but for those of you who ask me for book recommendations, I finally got around to finishing "The Golden Couple" by Sarah Pekkanen and Greer Hendricks, and it's delicious. So suspenseful and engaging and totally unpredictable.)

I also finished Jennifer Weiner's "Summer" trilogy, and the third installment did not disappoint. I loved the characters almost as much as I loved every nook and cranny in the Cape Cod setting.

May is also a sweeps month, and that puts a lot of pressure on us couch potatoes to cram everything in, and also, to be disappointed when we learn that some of our favorites will not be returning.

CBS is making some huge mistakes cancelling "The United States of Al" and "B Positive." They were two sitcoms with heart, and they deserved to live a little longer.

And since so many people ask me for recommendations to stream, here's one that'll have you rolling in the aisles:  (and no, it's not that mediocre "How We Roll" bowling-centered sitcom)

If you liked the pacing and the feel of "The Office" and "Superstore" you will positively LOVE what I consider the best new sitcom of the season(tied with "Abbott Elementary") called "Welcome to Flatch."

I usually skip mockumentaries--I find them contrived, but this one, on Fox on Thursday nights at 9:30,  is a laugh-out-loud, laugh-every-second hoot. 

It's the kind of show you need to record and watch after "This is  Us" when you're trying to recover. 

I love it's star, Chelsea Holmes, who now goes by just Holmes, as the hilarious Kelly, sharing her adventures with her BFF, her cousin Scrub.

I'm not sure if close cousins have been portrayed since the days of Patty and Cathy Lane, cousins who looked like identical twins(!!???) but "Welcome to Flatch" has little in common with that silly sixties sitcom.

(Although I can actually picture Kelly "losing control" over a hot dog, as Patty Duke once did)

Bring on the BBQS!

Bring on the lilacs!

Bring on lazy pool days and packed Kindles...

Bring on the allergies, the  sneezing and wheezing and those dirty looks from people  waiting in line behind you with cartoon bubbles that say, "Hey..I am triple vaxxed!"

Spring has sprung!

No comments:

Post a Comment