Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Missing Miguel

This. Is. Gut-busting.

Okay, maybe not as painful as real life, when the gut that is being busted contains a uterus. 

Don't tell me what I can and cannot do with my body--even if I abuse it with creme brulee.  That's between me, my healthcare professional, and the Cheesecake Factory.

RBG:  The face slap heard around the world...

Will Smith has nothing on SCOTUS.

But let's get back to "This is Us". where, at the end, I had to be scooped up from the floor.

(Not because I was a quavering puddle, but because I tripped over the quivering  poodle)

SPOILERS AHEAD

Fans have been  predicting Miguel's fate for weeks now, which made me prepared, but I wanted them to be wrong.

I needed them to be wrong.

They were not wrong.

Six seasons worth of brilliant storytelling needed no  written words at all last night. 

 Just a few stirring instrumental  chords, a few shots that showed the changing of the seasons. 

The plucking of an apple, the sweeping of a childhood baseball field in Puerto Rico.

This. Was.  Mig.

I didn't post anything after the last two Kevin-centric episodes, even 'though he's hot AF and Mandy's stupendous singing made it blog-worthy, because..well.. I'm a nit picker.

I was annoyed that Sophie got miffed during an intimate moment when Kevin  wrongly  thought he sniffed her familiar Herbal Essence, when he clearly should have known  that shampoo was so 1990's of her. 

 It reminded me of a scene from  "thirtysomething" when Nancy and Elliott were finally back together, and she stormed out of the bedroom because he remarked that her legs weren't carefully  shaven.

I personally know at least a dozen women who would never let  some olfactory confusion or a casual  remark about hairy calves put an abrupt end to their impending  joy.  

(If you're close enough for intimacy, you are close enough to be able to take a non-critical criticism)

I also disliked when Beth and Madison played Nancy Drew and uncovered Katie Lowes's character's beautiful notes on napkins.  They called it "girlish handwriting"

Calligraphy pens are fluid..and genderless.  That's biased detective work, ladies.

Also, were Randall and Beth's girls on that airport carousel with Sophie's missing luggage?  You mean to tell me not one small boutique, located near the wedding venue, was open later than  noon?  (They visited the dry cleaner to find something last minute, where it was obviously  still daylight) 

 And there's no Target or KMart within an hour's drive?

Those episodes were contrived to me, but the writers made up for it last night, giving us quality scripts, the kind that we've been blessed with for six seasons, especially this season.

Last night's tears were genuinely earned, not forced.

I even wept when Roberto Clemente  was mentioned, even 'though I know.  I know.. there's no crying in baseball.

How am I gonna survive these next few weeks, focusing on  the Big Three?

(As in, the Big Three episodes left in this astonishing show??)

No comments:

Post a Comment