Sunday, October 23, 2022

Philly forty fanaticism

I remember working for Channel 17, WPHL TV,  as a part-time writer in the promotions department in the late 1970's. 

The excitement in the air was palpable when Phillies fans learned that our hometown had just acquired the now infamous Pete Rose as their super-star player.

My  brother Steven accompanied me to a Welcome to Philly party and he was the only one who thought ahead and brought a camera...and had tons of requests for photo ops.

("He" being my brother..Pete Rose didn't request a photo with me..but he SHOULD have)

That was an exciting time to be a Phillies fan.

It was also forty-four years ago...I can only imagine what it's like to be in that stadium right now! 

I'd love to be there!

Of course, I'd be complaining about the long walk in the rain to the car, or my unsuccessful attempt to find a bathroom, or I'd be burping up that ill-advised hot dog, but I'd be eating up the camaraderie as well..  

I'd be so excited that I'd try to scale a greased pole..or..I'd watch someone else try.

I now appreciate all the complimentary tickets I was given back then, and how popular it made my Dad when I gifted them to him and his work colleagues.

Let's pray for a miracle..that my son's team, the NY Yankees, can conquer a mountain and win three games in a row.

Yes, I know it's not going to happen..but I love the idea of two well-rested teams facing each other on the field--hopefully a dry one--after a short Amtrak ride.

If the Yankees lose, I gotta believe that the Phils can bring it home.

(Mainly so I can tell you about the look the Phanatic gave me when I dumped a full glass of champagne into the bushes outside of the studio.  I was embarrassed being a teetotaler back then, but I didn't notice that the Phanatic was watching me. He blew a streamer at me, but he never betrayed my embarrassing secret)

I'm actually excited about sports!

No comments:

Post a Comment