Sunday, October 2, 2022

Bro-medy

You know how I've often ranted about silly, annoying rom coms in past posts?

 How I sit quietly in the theater, seething,  and think, "Tony  actually fell in LOVE with Maria after exchanging just  a few generic  words?  Rose was out and out  RUDE to Jack when he saved her from jumping ship..would he have bothered if she had a missing tooth?  The flat  body of a twelve year old boy?  Ali MacGraw's Jenny  acted like a sociopath when Ryan O'Neal's Oliver  asked if Radcliffe's library had a certain book he needed..would he have pursued the conversation any further if, when she walked away, she had Lizzo's ass  instead of Jennifer Cavileri's?"

And don't get me started on "Romeo and Juliet"...

My cynicism waned a bit when I stopped believing Janis Ian, believing that love wasn't meant EXCLUSIVELY for "beauty queens", but it REALLY died down when I saw the "Before" trilogy, which is probably my favorite movie(s) of all time.

Yes, Ethan Hawke's Jesse and Julie Delpy's Celine  were a very attractive couple with lots of lust at first sight, but I believed their attraction transcended ONLY that.  They talked for hours..and we got to know them as they got to know each other--before that first kiss, making us believe that first kiss was based on something that resembled a deeper and truer  connection.

(At least in one of the most famous rom coms in cinema history, Woody Allen's Alvy Singer was  honest enough  to ponder, "I wonder what she looks like naked?" after he and Annie Hall had just met, as their inner thoughts appeared on the screen as subtitles. Give him props for being Woody)

All of this build-up to say I saw one of the best rom coms of all time last night, and it was not based on a meet-cute that was all about sexual passion and superficial lust, that it was based on a real meeting of the mind and soul, but..

..that's not exactly true.

There was a LOT of lust in "Bros"..characters DID judge each other by the contents of their undergarments and not the content of their character, but..it worked.

Superficiality  can be very deep with the right dialogue.

I totally believed in Bobby and Aaron--I totally bought that their coupling was the real deal.

"Bros" may not play in Peoria, but make sure you see it elsewhere on the big  screen. 

 It is poignant and funny and exciting and romantic and so very real..real and relatable.

See it on the silver screen if you can, which is a personal recommendation, as both Jim and I are treated daily to the wise and witty postings of our Facebook friend, Julia Scotti, a quarter finalist  on "America's Got Talent."

It was great to see her familiar face on a screen  that was so much clearer and larger  than the one on our phones or PC, and even 'though she had just one line, (something about the "Dallas Buyers Club") she brought authenticity to the  credited part of "straight white woman."

"Bros" had its cringe-worthy moments too..is this really what dating is like in the 2020's?  Cryptic texts that remain unanswered? 

 Guessing whether one is ghosted or just biding their time?

Thinking that every time a cell phone dings, an angel gets its wings..or..at least a second date?

I guess this is what it's like for singles in these times, and I'm glad I'm not dealing with that kind of stress, but I'm REALLY glad that I'm married to Jim, who appreciates movies like this as much as I do.

Bros:  It's not just a Seinfeldesque brassiere for men.

No comments:

Post a Comment