The crowd pleasing Woody Harrelson vehicle "Champions" is schmaltzy and manipulative and predictable..and I still loved it a lot more than ninety percent of what's nominated for Oscars this year.
Almost everything, everywhere, and seemingly all at once... is pretentious and boring
I'm not saying only popcorn movies should sweep award seasons, but this year's crop should be serving Ambien at the concession stand.
I'm not rooting for anything except Brendan Fraser, and his win is unlikely according to experts.
The Best Actor award looks like it's Austin Butler's to lose, and I don't get it. If I hear that phrase.."he absolutely channeled Elvis!" one more time I'm going to eat some fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches until I burst.
It's ELVIS, not Cary Grant or Ernest Borgnine or Emil Jannings.
It's a music legend we've seen impersonated thousands of times before, by thousands of talented and untalented performers. I saw absolutely nothing original...and even 'though Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors, I thought he was dreadful as Colonel Tom Parker.
Final predictions, noting that most of these would be my last or second to last choices: EEAAO for Best Picture and Best Director, and Butler, Yeoh, Bassett, and Quan for the acting wins.
I think I'll be concentrating more on what apps are served at the after parties this year..they'll be a lot more interesting...and less predictable.
No comments:
Post a Comment