It's documentary Saturday!
And thus, time for a quickie!
Our first adventure was not a documentary but it certainly felt like one, Season Seven, Episode Five of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel."
This show is knocking it out of the park lately, and we're blown away by how authentic everything is. I can just imagine what like was like for writer Midge in that all boys' club. I imagine it so vividly that I want to find a time machine so I can actually emulate Midge Maisel, and maybe vie for a job as a writer on a talk show.
The most unrealistic part of this statement isn't procuring a time machine: it's thinking that I could ever look or dress or walk confidently like she does.
The second documentary to knock it out of the park literally does just that, as we just returned from seeing "It Ain't Over", a fascinating, often poignant, often hilarious look at the life of Yankee Slugger Yogi Berra. Talk about someone I'd like to write for..!! There's nothing quite like Yogisms, and we've got a box of unused t-shirts from Evan's 2008 bar mitzvah to prove it.
We're about to embark on our third doc, which I'm sure will show clips with an actual doc, Doc Brown, the character played by Christopher Lloyd in the "Back to the Future" franchise, as we're about to watch the moving story of Michael J. Fox, and yeah, I hear what I just said, but I'm too lazy to change it now. That might be a thoughtless way to describe a movie about someone with Parkinson's, but I'm sure we'll gain tremendous insight into this life and career of this beloved movie and TV star.
And while we're on the subject of TV stars/characters, our waitress at Houlihan's tonight was an absolute clone of "Mad About You's" Ursula Buffay, played by Lisa Kudrow, who played the ditzy waitress' twin, Phoebe, on "Friends."
Ursula started off by telling us there was so much drama at the table with "Bridezilla"..the one she served before us. I like gossip as much as the next person, but we were hungry and thirsty and wanted to place our order...not hear a soap opera played out scene by scene in real time.
I make it clear to Ursula that I don't like manhandled fruit wedges in my Diet Coke, but she brought it with a lemon anyway. I politely told her that I could remove it myself, like she attempted to do, but I'd rather have a new one, and she apologized profusely, blaming her ditziness and stress on the Bridezilla table.
I order the potato soup which I never got, but requested again when the entrees were served.
Again, Ursula apologizes, saying she'd give me adequate time to finish the soup while regaling us again with constant Bridezilla updates.
The meal comes, but then she tells us, "oh! I have your check..but..I have no idea where it is, but I do have it!!"
She scampers off, coming back with yet another update on Bridezilla, but still was clueless about the whereabouts of the check.
We finally got the check.
We paid it, and made it to the Yogi Berra documentary in time.
We checked out the check.
The waitress's name was not Ursula.
It is..and I have proof...her name.. is ..Patience.
Which I was slowly running out of.
Just like anyone reading this.
No comments:
Post a Comment