Sunday, February 25, 2024

I’m crying over you..

I don't cry at the movie theater.

I barely cry at  FUNERALS, because it's usually a snotty ugly cry and if I'm going to your funeral, I'm stressed enough to begin with.

 I don't want to fret about how distorted my face looks or how inappropriate my wardrobe is.

(I DO cry when a pet dies, even if it's not my own. My Luke is thankfully  almost as healthy as the horse I sound like when I snort/cry)

I also cry if the wax lady is TOO  good at her job, or when polls suggest that millions of American voters will be in deep mourning along side  me on the mourning of November 6th, 2024.

Last time I cried in a MOVIE theater was over two and a half decades ago, ugly sobbing  the first time I saw "Titanic" at a sold out matinee, and I was barely paying attention, as  I whispered to Jim, "do you think Rose(Kate Winslet) is going to drown?" not realizing that everyone in the audience with a working brain already knew the answer to that question as they, like me, just saw those  scenes with a very  much alive  (Gloria Stuart's) "Old Rose."

(My inability to pay attention is a blog for another day..this one is about crying)

Now that  I finally learned to pay attention to "Titanic" (after five dozen viewings) those tears are  earned every time.  

I'll never let go.

We just caught the matinee of "Ordinary Angels" and I cried so hard that  I was audibly  gasping, and then I was afraid movie goers in my row would fear I was choking, or worse, LAUGHING!!

My cheeks were drenched: my coat was drenched: and man, that Hilary Swank gets me in the gut every single time. 

Yes Hilary,  Boys DO Cry, because Jim got weepy as well, but he wasn't making embarrassing noises as bodily fluids poured out of him.

 A Hillary hasn't made me bawl like this since 2016.

I am not a movie snob. I'm not particularly  happy that "Oppenheimer" is going to sweep at the Oscars, which it deserves to do I guess, but it bored me.

"Ordinary Angels" isn't going to get any award buzz, but if you need a good cry and you like a little  schmaltz  mixed with a little heavy handed message about redemption, go see this.

Or..if you need a   good cry that doesn't cost anything..just turn on your local news.

No comments:

Post a Comment