"The Phone Call"
(from an alternate extension")
The time: The Present
The Setting: Unknown
Scene I, Act 1
FADE IN
KAREN DIALS AN UNFAMILIAR/FAMILIAR AREA CODE, ONE USED PRIMARILY IN FEBRUARY. WE HEAR THE JANGLE OF A ROTARY PHONE OFF STAGE, AND AFTER FOUR RINGS, A QUICK CLICK BEFORE THE SOUND OF A RECEIVER BEING PICKED UP.
DAD: Quaker..
KAREN: Quaker??? (BEAT) I'm not calling you at work, Dad. I'm calling..I'm calling you at...well, I'm not exactly sure where. But today marks thirty six years since I last heard your sarcastic tone, making fun of a slew of neighbors whom you've given nicknames that are fitting but often unkind. But always hilarious. Thirty six years since I've seen you eat a sandwich with mini salami links and hot peppers. Thirty six years since you yelled at the screen when the Flyers missed a scoring opportunity.
DAD: Is this Agrisinious?
KAREN: Um..it's your daughter..so yeah. Call me whatever you want.
DAD: Felicia!!???
KAREN: As I recall, those two were your favorites. And you called all my girlhood friends Shirley, because that was the only name you thought suited little kids because you grew up watching Shirley Temple.
DAD: Bottom line this.
KAREN: Yep..I remember that from your living days as well. Nicknames..and your aversion to unnecessary detail. That was your catch phrase, "bottom line this." That..and "do something, even if it's wrong." Your son-in-law loves that one..uses it all the time. Even at work.
DAD: Bottom line this.
KAREN: Okay..Okay..um..a lunatic is in the White House, your Eagles won another Super Bowl in February, and your grandson Evan, your namesake and my awesome son, is getting married next week. At a Russian Palace in Brooklyn, for only a handful of guests and your granddaughter Marissa will represent the family. But a small crowd is a fun crowd, right? Right?? (PAUSE) Dad?? Are you listening? (LONGER PAUSE) Are you still on the line??
DAD: Here..talk to your mother...
FADE TO BLACK
No comments:
Post a Comment