Friday, October 31, 2025

Oy with the poodles!

Ok, I’ll admit my “Gilmore Girls” obsession is borderline unhealthy these days, ( except it’s not.. the show is therapeutic, soothing, and magical) and I’ll credit the algorithm that is aware of this, flooding my feed daily with long forgotten reels.

I’m reliving every dreamy detail, from the time I first discovered it ( on ABC Family one summer.. I didn’t watch its initial run on the WB) to hearing the uplifting troubadour music with a daily ear worm.

I’ll never forget my trip to Los Angeles in 2019, when our travel agent booked a backstage tour of Warner Bros. Studio for us, and my unparalleled joy seeing a GG poster before our tram departed.

Little did I know how much was in store.. that the tram would actually stop in Stars Hollow! That I’d stand in the gazebo ( it was daytime, so there were no twinkling lights) and I’d actually walk through Lorelei and Rory’s home and actually feel their presence. It was surreal!

Because of the sudden influx of these reels, I’ve been quoting a lot of Lorelai-isms, especially her favorite, “ oy with the poodles”

And I was today years old before I suddenly realized… all the important poodles in my life have a Gilmore connection that wasn’t consciously apparent when it came to picking out names!

Our first poodle, Max, was whelped six years before the show aired, but Lorelai’s boyfriend and Rory’s Chilton teacher was.. Max Medina!!

And then of course, her longtime beau and eventual husband.. LUKE!

Who’s just as adorable and cranky and loyal as my little guy.

But that’s not all!

My brother’s family were the first relatives who welcomed three of this wonderful breed into their lives.

First there was Gigi ( Rory’s half sister’s name!) and then Lulu, the name of Kirk’s eccentric girlfriend. Their newest addition is Coco, and I just remembered that was the name ( spelled “ Cocoa” but pronounced the same) that was originally given to Paul Anka, the dog adopted by Lorelai to heal her broken heart after the estrangement from Rory.

There’s a Max! There’s a Luke! There’s a Gigi, Lulu, and Coco(a)!!

Oy with the poodles!!

So exciting to see all the media coverage to honor the 25th anniversary of the series, and Lauren Graham’s recent acquisition of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

( now if only someone could invent a Time Machine that would wake up those Emmy voters who failed to give her what she so richly deserved)

I’m so glad that I got to talk to a cast member just last month while I’m still in this all consuming phase of GG nostalgia, even one who played a villain.

Thank you, Amy Sherman Palladino, for all the light in these dark days.

Where you lead, I will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment