The people you meet in the ocean!!
Are sometimes even more fascinating than the fish, diving birds, and ice cream sundae peddlers.
I started talking to a handsome, well tanned man with cool sunglasses , nursing a beer, tattoos glistening in the sun, the type of guy you’d never expect me to strike up conversation with, but there we were, a few hours later, with his childhood friend, Daryl from Massachusetts, and my Jim, joining in to enjoy the rays and the waves and swapping of life stories.
Kenny owns a home in nearby Venice, but told us this particular beach in Siesta Key was the nicest in the vicinity.
He’s a police officer from DC, on the scene for many mind blowing events, including an amusing one about an escaped bear invading an urban neighborhood, and some more covered ones, like being actually on the scene during January 6th.
Political talk was kept to a minimum, but he was very civil and very intelligent. He shared stories about Iraq and being in the Air Force in Italy, and we were captivated. He referred to himself as a moderate and that became abundantly clear early on.
His friend Daryl joined us shortly after, beer in hand, and the stimulating conversation continued, from the three guys talking fantasy football league, to a recommendation, from them, of where to have our last dinner here, Siesta Key Oyster Bar.
(Aka SKOB.. we walked by the sign earlier and thought it was some kind of urban slang acronym)
Turns out the buddies have wives and young kids at home, so naturally I talked all about how they HAD to visit the number one family resort in America, my Woodloch Pines.
They’re going to love it and we’re going to love the ambience in the place they recommended.
It’s weird.. your parents drum into you your whole lives not to talk to strangers, and I want to respond, “ but strangers aren’t boring! They don’t talk about bullshit that nobody in their right mind would talk about.. I didn’t care then, don’t care now, and won’t care ever about your experience trying to return tea towels to Target.”
Strangers don’t do that.
Strangers make you happy.
Until you get to know them.
Meanwhile, we’re totally water logged and wrinkly, but we really could use Kenny the Cop now .. because somebody stole our beach towels!!
They’ve been accumulating our body sweat and dirt all week.. who the hell would want them??
Mine reeks of Ever Pure Shampoo for chemically treated hair and blood pressure meds.
All I know is we had better not be charged for them!!
The shack-y, bungalow-y place we’ve called home the last few nights has been fun, despite the lack of space for wet and/or dry clothes, and the ceiling/ shower brain worms nicknamed Bobby and Cheryl, and the fact that housekeeping is only available upon request, but we should not be responsible for towels that house our body sweat and anger.
I’m eating healthier these days.. tortilla soup and a small salad with blackened baby shrimp and red onions and these cheesy croutons that were as good as crack, but I’ll get back to my routine by Monday, sadly.
I guess that’s means, as far as clean eating goes, it’s time to throw in the towel.. if I can find it!!
No comments:
Post a Comment