Saturday, July 18, 2026

A day with Larry / A night with the Beatles

Episode four, season one,  of “Life, Larry, and the Pursuit of Unhappiness” was side splittingly hilarious, especially the  spoof of Watergate. 


What a fun way to spend this evening.


That was not a misspeak.. it is pitch black here in Monmouth County,  New Jersey.


The clock reads 1:46 PM but it’s total blackness out there. 


I guess it beats the bright orange sky we’ve been seeing since Thursday. 


And it beats explosive diarrhea.


But I miss those days when the quintessential answer to the most obvious question in the world was always, “ yes” 


( as in “ is the sky is blue?”)


What’s next??


We’ll find out the Pope  isn’t Catholic?


Or that  bear doesn’t sh*t in the woods??


( unless he just consumed some lettuce from Taco  Bell)


Or.. I know!!!


People will be shocked to discover the word “dumb” has a silent “b?”


Don’t listen to me today.. my spare glasses are giving me double vision so I don’t even know what  I’m saying or typing. 


My specs are living it up at the bottom of the Atlantic,  while I try to make use of all the other senses I was born with. 


Catch Larry for some genuine laughs. 


I don’t think Cheryl Hines will  make any  guest appearances after the way her better half was destroyed by her former tv husband.


So...once again, we think outside the box, take ourselves out of our comfort zone of a mediocre movie at a local theater, , and had a wonderful and unexpected night as we ventured off to The Vogel Theater in Red Bank for the second weekend in a row.


There were torrential downpours in town tonight..everyone arrived at the theater looking and feeling like drowned rats.


You know the situation is dire when a perfect stranger approaches your table and says, "I'm not sure if I just had an accident or not, that's how wet my pants are."


Tonight's show was phenomenal..


A local Beatles cover band called "Wag."


Their voices were spectacular..they captured every lyric with nuanced perfection.


The costumes!

The sets!

The vibe!


It's nirvana for Boomers like us, as vintage clips from the first appearance by the Fab Four on the Ed Sullivan show appeared on the big screen, including authentic commercials for products that nobody uses anymore.


Fans were dancing in the aisles, singing along to every familiar tune(which was EVERY tune) and becoming fast friends during intermission and before the show's start.


We were seated with friends Linda and Rosie, and we tell them this is the second week in a row visiting this theater, as we had just seen a one-man Groucho Marx show.


Rosie tells us that she saw a production of a Groucho show on Broadway that her cousin was in..her cousin even won an award.


I perk up and say, "oh..did he play Groucho? Would we recognize his name?"


She replies, "no..SHE did..My cousin won a Tony award for playing Harpo in "A Day in Hollywood../a Night in the Ukraine"..you may have heard of her?? Priscilla Lopez??"


I'm star struck, and I respond, "I love Priscilla, but I thought she won for playing Diana Morales in 'A Chorus Line.'"


"No." Rosie corrects me.."She was nominated, but she won for "A Day in Hollywood."


I'm telling her how much I loved Priscilla's solos.."What I Did For Love" and "Nothing", and  Rosie tells me how down to Earth her cousin is, and how much they love just "hanging out."


She continues.."And I've socialized a lot with her best friend from the cast.  Do you remember the dancer who played Sheila.."


I cut her off immediately.


Do I remember Sheila??!!!


Played by the marvelous Carole Bishop..who changed her name to..Kelly Bishop??


As in..Kelly Bishop who played Emily GILMORE Kelly Bishop??!!


"Yup, " Rosie laughed..."That's her..why..were you a big fan of "Gilmore Girls" or something?"


It's like she injected pure joy into my heart that took effect immediately.


The most Emmy-deserving actress(besides Lauren Graham herself) from my favorite show of all time..and I'm sitting with her buddy???


Beatles! Bishop! Broadway!!


The evening was magical and perfect...even rain wasn't going to rain on my parade tonight.


And best of all..the sun will come out..tomorrow.​

No comments:

Post a Comment