Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Woochloch Forever!

​Woodloch!!


What luck!!


We’re back, with a hot and sunny weather forecast, silly and sunny  funny kids, and a jam packed schedule. 


I was a little nervous because the house we usually rent for  our reunion was unavailable this week. 


It’s  always been  reliable and it’s so pretty, on the golf course, but fitting five cars into that driveway built for one or two cars  at the bottom of what  is essentially a ditch, (even though I never once  personally drove there,)while trying to navigate trees and deer, was always just a tad  nerve wracking. 


This week we’re in  what could pass for  a Swiss chateau.. it’s magnificentl! 


And there’s ample parking without  obstacles!


Everyone gets their own bathroom, their own view of the woods, and their own story to tell about  watching a deer poop..while pooping with the blinds up because nobody but the deer is going to see how comfortable  and carefree  you are. 


The furnishings are rustic and cozy and warm as a cup of hot cocoa in a  frosty skating rink. 


Evan and Michelle’s room  even has a jacuzzi that looks like it could fit ten Norwegian wrestlers. 


You know? 


I’m not into numerology and I’m not a particularly suspicious person, ( okay.. I am) but we are in room 823 and when we were here this past February,we were in room 417.


( my father was born on August 23rd and died on April 17th)


But I won’t read into that( yeah.. sure I won’t ) because I have so much I want to capture.. so much immeasurable vicarious joy to share. 


I try to put these thoughts down daily, but that’s impossible because of the combination of unparalleled exhilaration and exhaustion I’ve been feeling at the end of the day, when I should be blogging,  and blessing whatever forces that got together and somehow decided I  am worthy of all of this good fortune.


Rural Pennsylvania is quite the mysterious animal.. you pass signs en route that say “ ask us about skinning your bear!” and then  moments later, you’re in an enchanted forest.


You’re swimming in a pristine lake, checking out the landscape, and thinking, “ wow.. that Mother Nature is SOME artist, isn’t she?”


You regret that you were too busy unpacking to play the hilarious Happy Hour game called “Mic Drop” but you know the days ahead will feel like weeks …of good natured competitive rivalry, gourmet dining, and a bottomless pit of gut busting laughter.


I was counting the hours until the house was filled to capacity with my nephew’s crew from Maryland, because the children arrive with their ear to ear smiles that make you a smiling kid again yourself. 


My great niece Shoshana is eleven and has the wisdom and sensitivity of a  beloved spiritual leader. 


She braved the mechanical bull last night and offered “ I didn’t want to ever regret NOT riding a mechanical bull when I had the chance to!” ( a philosophy we should all take note of) and she lasted just a few seconds under the time  of her eight year old brother Eyli,  who followed, both looking like this was clearly not their first rodeo.


You watch these two laugh and play and get soaked in chocolate sauce and shaving cream during the hilarious and messy “Double Dare” game earlier  in the afternoon and you think, “ life is so good. We should all live it like children  on a slip ‘n slide  do!”


( and that’s without even mentioning  the receipt of the highly recommended gift we gave their three year old sibling, Asher, a neon pink flamingo named Frank, who makes the most hilarious flatulent noises when squeezed in a certain way, just like most of us do)


I’m sitting here in this quiet living room, listening to the rustling of trees and the chirping of birds. 


I’m the first one up and will be the last to retire today, but I’ll wrap up now and  share fresh thoughts later on.


My sister in law Jane’s family  arrives today.. her siblings and cousins and nieces and  nephews and their kids.


I expect more chaos, tumult, photo ops, merriment, and joy.


Simple joy, with   details to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment