Sunday, November 5, 2023

My brain on.. butter, chopped liver, anniversary..

Happy anniversary to my better half! My partner in crime!  I can't believe it's been thirty four years since....

MY BRAIN: (RUDELY) No...,no..just..NO!!  Don't you dare! I'm stopping you right there before you embarrass the BOTH of us!

ME: Oh..(BEAT)  It's YOU again. (SCOFF)

MY BRAIN: That's right, it's ME again.  Do you think I'd sit idly by and watch you post the same cliches that boring, unimaginative people send to their spouses?  I was just waiting for you to say something like, "it's been a..ROLLER COASTER!!  We've had our ups and downs!" (  Just in case you don't know what a roller coaster is and  you didn't get the overused metaphor?)

ME:  You didn't even give me a chance to TRY to be creative..(ON THE VERGE OF TEARS)

MY BRAIN: All that lazy, uninspired cliched writing.  God woman, where would you be without me?

ME:  (SHRUGGING) Calmer?  Less paranoid?  More disciplined??

MY BRAIN:  I haven't had to scold you since JULY, when you tried to post generic crap for your only child's birthday..Good thing I was't preoccupied with some trivial nonsense that day..the kind you usually subject me to...

ME: That's not fair.  You KNOW, as the lone  occupant of my skull, that my son would have been perfectly content with a simple acknowledgement, a general "happy birthday"

MY BRAIN:  But that's not good enough for ME and I'M in control here..not your spleen, not your pancreas..ME!

ME:  You're not the only organ I answer to, you know..

MY BRAIN: (SCOFFS)  Why do I bother?  I'm there for you when you try to do the daily WORDLE, I'm always there for you during the bonus spin on "Wheel of Fortune"..and THIS is the thanks I get??  Am I chopped liver?  I mean, I know I LOOK like chopped liver, but does that give you the right to use cliches?  Like I just did, but I did it for dramatic effect!! Do you think your stomach or heart would tolerate this level of  neglect and abuse?

ME:  Obviously..they wouldn't...

MY BRAIN:  You'd never put your LIVER under such scrutiny.  Your SPLEEN doesn't have to be your chaperone every single moment you're awake...

ME:  You are so scary....

MY BRAIN: You could do worse. I could make you care about things like Keto diets..

ME:  Can I at least call Jim and me the "dynamic duo?"

MY BRAIN:  I wouldn't.  And don't let me decide if it's "Jim and I" or "Jim and ME" this early in the day..I do my best work at NIGHT. LATE at NIGHT!   The 2:00 AM of NIGHT!!

ME: Can I just write a few poems or rhymes?

MY BRAIN:  I don't know..can you??

ME:  Oh my God..You're such a bitch!!

MY BRAIN: Who didn't even bother to make you rich...

ME:  Leave the rhyming to ME..you stay in your own sphere.  (CLEARS THROAT)  OK...here goes:

How about.."We survived Covid and Superstorm Sandy..or times when you ate all the Halloween candy?"

MY BRAIN:  That's okay but still cliched.  EVERYONE makes "jokes" about denting the Halloween candy before the holiday..

ME:  Would you be okay with.."You tolerate my bullshit and you say I'm never boring? I ask Alexa nightly to help silence all your snoring?"

MY BRAIN:  That's mean and you cursed.  Do better.

ME:  Really??

MY BRAIN:  Yeah..and it smacks of conceit too.  Let OTHERS tells you you're not boring.  You don't have to brag.  That makes you nothing more than a blagger..the braggy blogger you are always making fun of

ME: Do you like.."You really love my cooking..'though I lie about the butter?  I love everything about YOU but you gotta watch the clutter?"

MY BRAIN: Better..but still not original. (BEAT) You've shared Jim's sloppiness on Facebook before.  MANY times before..although this might be a first 'cause you confessed you use a lot of butter when preparing those wonderful dinners.

ME; It makes everything better!

MY BRAIN:  Not to your health-conscious husband but it's your anniversary so I'll let it slide.

ME:  How about this one?  I just thought of this:  "I may not be a fashion plate..but you make me ...feel classy?  You don't mind what I just ate..unless it makes me gassy?"

MY BRAIN: OK..Finally!  Something UNIQUE!  My work here is done.

ME: Uh..thanks???

MY BRAIN:  It's long..but satisfying.

ME:  That's what she said:)

MY BRAIN:  Now you're doing sitcom cliches??  I need to get back to "The Office."  Let's wrap things up..I could use a nap.

ME:  OK..I'm looking forward to celebrating with my favorite Jimmy...

MY BRAIN:  Jimmy Kimmel has other plans today..

ME:  Eff off, brain!  You KNEW who I meant!! Dinner with MY Jimmy..and my son..and his wonderful girlfriend..

MY BRAIN:  You are exasperating..but my job here is done.  Enjoy your big celebration in Cancun!  And don't drink the water!!

No comments:

Post a Comment