Sorry , no.
I’m not stopping until after the election.
You can unfriend me, hate me, mimic me, challenge me, ignore and resent me, but no.
I’m sorry/not sorry and I’m not stopping.
Think of these daily protests like canvassing, and then factor in my age and size and tendencies for an asthmatic episode and you’ll understand why this is as close to real canvassing as someone like me is going to get.
In the seventies and eighties, my mother was a regular patient of a mean, nasty, positively hideous obstetrician/ gynecologist in Philadelphia named Dr.
K.
He was gruff and he was an asshole who’d miss and even dismiss many women’s health issues, including early cancer signs.
An obese friend of a friend went to him and while she was on the cold exam table, her feet in stirrups, with her vulnerability and naked lower body half exposed, Dr.K would grab handfuls of belly flab and forbid her to return to his office unless they were gone. He called her disgusting.
Many patients left his office insulted or crying.
I never went to Dr. K but I told my mom that a lot of my friends were going to the same neighborhood where he had his office to see a new female gynecologist.
“Oh no,” my mom said, shaking her head. “I know he’s a jerk sometimes, but I trust him. I don’t know how comfortable I’d be with a female doctor performing routine tests, because I never went to one.”
Yeah, it’s like THAT.
And this is a one hundred percent true story.
No comments:
Post a Comment