So this just happened...
We were both so riled up because of the Elon news and the other crap, like Trump calling the despicable rally at MSG a "love fest" that I decided I had to do something other than write a smarmy parody that nobody has liked yet.
I make a delicious dinner..Shepherd's Pie and a veggie casserole. We clean the kitchen, store the leftovers, and were about to kick back with some "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel" when Evan texted and told us he voted early.
"We're not waiting any longer," Jim says, gathering his car keys.
"But my phone isn't juiced and I'm not wearing a bra or socks and..okay, screw it..let's do early voting. I'm not taking a chance of getting a flat tire or the flu on Tuesday..can you tell I'm not wearing a bra?"
"I don't care..we're driving a town over and ten minutes out of the way, but we're doing it and we're doing it now. Besides, how crowded could the Hazlet Library be on a Tuesday night, a week before the election?"
We got the answer to that question immediately..the place was MOBBED and the line snaked around the block. I wasn't even sure if we'd get in before the eight o'clock closing.
I get in line and everyone looked psyched and determined. A well-dressed Hispanic woman in mustard colored pants stood before me. She was waving her sample ballot, which I realized I had left in the car, but she told me I probably didn't need it.
We did the dreaded small talk for a while--how pretty the leaves were around the library, the crisp autumn weather, and how voters were so determined to cast their ballots early that non-hanidicapped drivers were sneaking into handicapped parking spaces. Men were talking about the doomed Yankees, a pretty blonde stood behind us and mostly stayed on her phone, but it was obvious that she was eavesdropping.
I say to the Hispanic woman, "I can't believe this turnout!" and she replies, "well..this is the most important election of our lifetime.!"
I giggle, and I say, "well..I'm obviously a lot older than you, but I understand why you say that."
She goes on to say that she is a Hispanic woman with a lot of integrity, and that she's been following the news intently and doing mounds and mounds of research daily.
I tell her that we shouldn't be talking like this, that it might be considered "electioneering" and the blond on the phone just kind of smirked.
The other woman agreed with me and said, "I usually don't discuss politics with strangers but I can see that you are very smart and very well educated."
I thank her for the compliment and try to change the subject to something lighter, but I say, "well..I can tell by the way that you're smiling and the twinkle in your eyes that you are as researched as I am..so good to hear!"
She said, "ok..let's go wild and break some ruies because it's obvious we are on the same page..on the count of three, I'll say that I am one hundred percent voting for.."
I nod and she continues, "and we'll answer together. Ready? One. Two. Three. I'm one hundred percent voting for.."
I yell out , "Harris!"
She yells out: "Trump!!"
WTF?????
We both looked like we were going to fall over and she said to me, "OMG..really?? You looked so ..smart!"
"I am not wearing a bra," I answer, very respectfully, "but I'm just as floored by your answer as you are by mine."
"But the RESEARCH!" she says.
Jim waves to me..he finally found a parking space.
I say to her, "is it OK if my husband joins us in line?" but I did not add, "so he can knock some sense into you?"
I didn't elaborate and neither did she. I only start arguments with strangers on line if it's on a screen, not in a pathway in front of a public library.
She was actually very polite on her way out as she took her "I voted!" sticker, saying it was nice to meet me.
I was planning to keep this story a surprise for Jim until I put it on the blog, but when we got in the car, he asked me if I could judge the crowd by appearances, as he felt that at least sixty percent of the people in line looked like Harris supporters." He then adds: "Look at the nice lady you were talking to, the Hispanic one.."
I shook my head and said, "you don't want to know."
He actually hesitated to share this story. I thought it had an element of black comedy, irony, and shock..he just felt..depressed.
But we've taped Kamala's speech and we're about to watch it now.
No comments:
Post a Comment