February 13th
The Phone Call
Part 12
THE SETTINGS:
INTERIOR, Karen’s home:
and…??
(UNKNOWN)
THE TIME : the present
ACT ONE, SCENE ONE
Fade in:
(Telephone rings off stage)
Mom: what took you so long?
Karen: sorry mom, can’t talk. On my way to celebrate my seventieth with the kids at Woodloch.
Mom: you turned seventy three weeks ago.. what, you’re going to celebrate for a year?
Karen: that’s the plan. ( STRUGGLING TO CLOSE SUITCASE ) Three freaking nights and I’m packing for a month.
Mom: I used to do the same thing except I never went anywhere. (BEAT) c’mon daughter.. I only talk to you once a year.. can you believe I’ve been gone for twelve years?
Karen: yes mom.. and you know how annoyed I get at those “ can you believe? “ questions. Time doesn’t stand still.
Mom: so give me The Readers Digest
Karen: you want a summary of the year? Or the actual magazine? You’d be ninety seven now.. still too young for the actual magazine. Let’s see.. Trump is still a dangerous asshole.
Mom: why are you starting with something negative?
Karen: gee.. I wonder who I learned THAT from?? (BEAT) Let’s see.. Evan got married last April, and had a second ceremony in September, so the orthodox could come.. he has a new house, and they honeymooned in Barcelona, where your youngest granddaughter is studying animation.. um.. I lost seventy pounds but I’m NOT talking about that, because that’s ALL anyone will want to talk about.. I had monkeys crawl all over me in Honduras, a stop on the cruise we took for my actual birthday.. Luke is still hanging in there.. the family went to Woodloch in June..a few weeks after Jim officially retired.. hmm..what else.. oh!! I auditioned for “Wheel of Fortune “ and made it to the next level…now it’s up to the executive producers
Mom: so are you going to make it on the actual show?
Karen: God only knows.. can you put in a good word for me??
Mom: I’m sure that’s not a top priority.. but I’ll try.
Karen: great. Say hello to dad. Let me run. Talk to you soon. Same time, next year.
FADE OUT
No comments:
Post a Comment