Sunday, August 9, 2026

Wedding superb!

​Goodbye, Columbus, this time for reals.


We have a two hour wait in this lovely air conditioned lobby for our Uber, which is plenty of time for me to conjure up the very worst of worst case scenarios. 


But I’d rather talk about the wedding, which is one of the most fun ones I’ve ever attended.


After things like weddings and vacations, Jim and  I play a game called “highlights and lowlights” ( autocorrect just made that last word “kielbasa “ as though I’d list the three most important Polish sausages I’ve experienced lately!!) but it will be next to impossible to pick just three highlights of this amazing trip.


Or three kielbasas.


The three lowlights will be easy: the bullet holes in the elevator of the hotel near LaGuardia. The moth eaten curtains. The sickening grease smell from Dunkin’ Donuts. The scary dogs. The gun shot sounds.. oh screw this. 


No way I can limit that to three lowlights.


The wedding is another story, but this time I’m giving myself permission to exceed the three highlight limit.


My game, my rules. 


I’m  always so emotional at beautiful wedding ceremonies, even if I don’t know the couple very well.


But as someone who loves David and Marissa, I caused major  flood damage.


When a processional begins with the beautiful sounds of Pachelbel, I usually lose it anyway, and then I think of how that haunting  music was used in “ Ordinary People” and by then  I’m crying so hard that I’m praying there  are paramedics in the pews. 


The speeches were moving, the rabbi was dynamic, and I learned many new things about my cousin David and his gorgeous bride, Marissa, that I hadn’t known before, resulting in something I’m calling happiness overload, joy that is so intense it should be illegal in most states.


The deejay was superb!


He worked the crowd into a frenzy, but not at a deafening decibel. 


(I’m sure there were crabby old people that still thought he was too loud and yes, OF COURSE I am was one  of them. )


Don’t judge audio insufficiencies. 


I can’t even understand a single word my husband says, but trust me, this deejay was terrific.


So I hear. 


I loved the long chats I had with cousins, the ones  I rarely see, reminiscing about childhood memories, laughing, panicking about genetics.. but mostly realizing how wonderful family gatherings  are, and how we all have to promise  not to wait for  a funeral to recreate this  magic.


My luck,  that funeral will be mine, and you know how I hate coming down with a major case of FOMO, which is why I’m winning that lotto and forcing everyone  at gun point  to come to Woodloch for a huge celebration/reunion. 


But then I’m going to bitch about how I’m too ADD to follow bland small talk  from unknown relatives about their cars or jobs or new shelves they installed in their dens.


An enigma am I, I am. 


The dessert buffet came mostly from the baking talents of the couples’ mothers, and they looked as delicious as they tasted. 


We were  all sugar maniacs.. like kids in a candy store, and then we all became kids in a toy store when we checked out the “imagination station.” ( a name I made up) 


Lots of weddings have photo booths with novelty props for those special ops, but David  and Marissa set up a virtual summer camp!


There were board games ( but nobody was bored!) and sketch pads and crafts and a scrapbook for your goofy photos in your Randy Rainbow glasses, plus a personal message.


The adjacent table showed a display of wedding photos from the brides’ and grooms’ families, and new tears were shed as I saw one of my  maternal grandparents, the grandparents I share with the father of the groom.


As much fun as I was having personally , ( I called it “Club Med without a beach” to Jim) the greatest joy was felt vicariously. 


Evan and Michelle dominated  that dance floor.. and filled my heart (and tear ducts) with every exciting move they’d make. 


This was a weekend I’ll never forget… but all good things must come to an end..


Thanks to all of you who still follow my posts/blogs..


I know they’re self indulgent, but is there anything really wrong  with that??


Don’t answer that.. but keep on reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment