Sunday, November 24, 2019

It’s a beautiful Sunday in the..

it's one of those Sunday mornings where we wake up to a poodle demanding belly rubs as we laughingly criticize the unnerving things we tolerate  about one another.

(Jim was making  fun of my "Karenoia" and I was teasing him about all the tics and quirks that make him borderline "Aspie" IMO) when all of a sudden Alexa pipes in with "I'm sorry to hear that."

This only made ME  more paranoid and made HIM even nuttier.

And neither of us can get Mr. Rogers and his theme song  out of our paranoid, aspie brains. 

 It's on a constant loop.

On the ride home last night, after seeing the movie,  we discussed that there were no shows like Mr. Rogers for kids like us growing up in the late '50's-early "60's. 

 He had regional heroes growing up in Cleveland, just like  this Philly gal loved her "Pixanne" and "Sally Starr" and "Gene London."

But with the exception of Captain Kangaroo, there was no universal unifier for toddlers into pop culture.

(Great..now I can't get the theme song from "Captain Kangaroo" out of my "did-I-leave-the-stove-on?" head.)

Evan wasn't THAT obsessed with Mr. Rogers..he watched more Nick Jr. than PBS--but he watched enough to learn some wonderful life lessons, like all kids did who were lucky enough to be exposed to Fred Rogers.

(I should NOT phrase it like that, considering there's a character named "Mr. McFeely")

Evan's childhood was brought to you by the letter "Z"

He loved "Zoom" (which was AWESOME) "Zoboomafoo" (which was a terrific show for geography buffs and animal lovers--he was both and still is) and curiously, in an age where Moms would sell  their first born in order to get a "Tickle-Me-Elmo" doll for said first born, his favorite "Sesame Street" character was "Zoe."

And speaking of children's pop culture and the letter zed, make sure you check out "Zane to the Rescue" for your holiday stocking stuffer,  It's written by my college BFF James Donio and it's absolutely wonderful. (And available on Amazon.

....as is "I'm-sorry-to-hear-that" Alexa..

It's the perfect gift for your kids or grandkids, and it inspired Evan's wit:

(We were watching "Jeopardy" as a family a few nights ago, as we always do. and the "answer" was:  "The opening line in THIS childrens' book was  "where's Papa going with that axe?" and without missing a beat, Evan provided the "question", "what is 'Zane to the Rescue'"?

FYI..Jim and I both guessed "Little House on the Prairie"  but the actual question was "What is 'Charlotte's Web?'"

And nope, the Mr. Rogers song has not left my head yet.

I wonder if Alexa is going to reveal that to everyone not on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment