Dear Netflix:
Let me start off by telling you how pissed I am at you.
You should NOT be tempting movie aficionados to see award contenders in the comfort of their homes instead of on the big screen, where we SHOULD be seeing them.
I can't tell you how much flak we got by driving over an hour to see "Roma" in the theater last year because we could have stayed home with our feet up on recliners(well..you can do that in most theaters these days) and seen it at home.
I argued that I didn't WANT to stay home during award season, I wanted to be OUT with other film fans.
I WANT to complain to Jim that my recliner button doesn't work, or that the smell of butter on popcorn(which is NEVER how we get it) was nauseating, or that the Diet Coke we're sharing tastes like it was spiked with cough medicine.
I WANT to be overwhelmed by someone's perfume. I WANT to get annoyed at those who block my view when I'm trying to read the credits, which always scroll by too quickly anyway.
People used to ask me all the time: "Why pay to see a movie when it'll be out on video in just a few months?"
And I'd answer, even during those dark days when I was collecting unemployment and counting every penny, I'd say"Because movie theaters are made for movie lovers. I need to go to the theater, even if it kills me!"
(Yep..I said it when we went to see Daniel-Day Lewis as "Lincoln")
So, like a rabid dieter, I was very angry at you Netflix, for all these mouth-watering temptations.
I would NOT see "Dolemite is My Name" at home.
I would NOT see the three-hour plus "The Irishman" at home, even if it meant I could unhook my bra.
And there was no way in cinematic hell you were going to tempt me to see "Marriage Story" a movie I knew I'd love, written and directed by one of my favorites.
No way in hell..until you did.
Damn you Netflix, you dangled me with every comment I read on Facebook. With every glowing review from award predictors.
I knew it was going to be a marriage of "Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "Kramer vs. Kramer" two wonderful films I hadn't seen in over forty years.
So I succumbed to your charms. I should have been watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" but I watched you instead.
and.....
I am so glad I did not wait another nanosecond to see the BEST movie of 2019.
It was so raw..so real..so exquisite that it didn't matter that I was laughing/sobbing/gasping/a combo of all in my den rather than in the local cinema.
Laura Dern WILL get that long coveted Oscar in the supporting category.
Adam Driver, who deserved an award for "BlackkkKlansman" WILL win, even with competition this good.
And Miss Scarlet! Miss Scarlet!
Tomorrow is another day..a day when the Golden Globe nominations will be announced.
And you will win, even 'though you're competing against Reneee Zellweger.
Biopics are great when they're done right, but you took a fictional character and breathed life into her every move.
I so believed she existed. And I thank you for that performance.
So I forgive you, Netflix.
Just don't tempt me again...
No comments:
Post a Comment