Never ever EVER let your ambitious husband clean out the attic, never!
Because you will have no life--you will get nothing done that needs to get done as all those treasures are uncovered.
What happened to that Karen???
OMG!!
I found letters, and photos, and thin pics of me where I thought I was so damn fat(!!!), and caricatures I drew of Oscar nominated actors throughout the 1980's
I found letters to "boyfriends" that should have remained buried. (I meant the letters..but probably the sociopaths should be long forgotten too)
I found full-panel comic strips I created about people I loved and people I hated.
They were equally sad and funny.
I found letters from and to friends that I still have in my life today.
I found scripts that I wrote for existing shows, and original scripts I hoped to peddle.
I found a personal letter from Carol Burnett, thanking me for the "All My Children" trivia game that James Donio and I wrote all those decades ago--and a letter from the game company that considered buying it!
I found artwork I created with colorful pens, capturing the essence of my sixteen year old's bedroom (I apparently loved poodles, long before I knew I'd ever own some!)
I found plays I wrote for summer camp and song parodies I wrote for birthdays
I had NO IDEA I existed!!..Not like that, anyway...
Exhaustion set in, so I boxed everything up(well, Jim did) but now I have easy access to my life. Nothing is rotting in an attic that I've never been in, not in the quarter-decade we've lived here.
I found the script for "The Golden Girls" that we wrote in 1986!!
It was like..reading my own obituary, only the obit would be like everything I write..100 pages too long!
I can't believe I was so mad at myself all these years for losing everything..I even blamed my poor late Mom for accidentally throwing it all out.
She didn't.
I didn't.
It's all there, in the technicolor glory of a teenage Karen with a bunch of magic markers.
So many people I know are very interested in geneology..they need to know names and towns of all of their ancestors, and I never cared about that.
I don't need to know a random name or a birth place..I need to know who they WERE!
And thanks to this big beautiful box, my great great great great great great great great grandchildren/nieces/nephews will know they had a very crazy, very entertaining relative on their nutty family tree.
Again..don't go through anything in the attic!
Not if you want to live a life that isn't part of your past life.
The weirdest thing I uncovered?? My handwriting has stayed the same!
No comments:
Post a Comment