OK, so maybe he didn't do Stuart Smalley, but he was good enough, he was smart enough, and doggone it, people liked him.
People, in fact, loved him!
Al Franken was on fire tonight in a packed theater of masked people who think like us.
He might not have impersonated his "Daily Affirmations" beloved SNL character, but he did a mean takeoff on Ted Cruz. And Mitch McConnell. And Lindsey Graham. He had us roaring and he had us thinking, and he had us all a tad resentful that he was forced to quit the senate.
I love nights like this..a great candlelit dinner and a great show but you know what I love even more than that?
Meeting strangers who make me truly believe in an alternative universe.
It can't be a mere coincidence that I was seated next to an audiologist named Elizabeth, especially after we started chatting.
She told me that she is traveling for the first time post pandemic to..Seattle..where she'll then bound a Norwegian cruise to..Alaska!
JUST LIKE US..!!!
(only she's going a month earlier.)
She adds: "I was thinking about adding a land portion, but I have a son who is twenty-six..my only child.."
OK..she was now getting even MORE of my undivided attention...
And she said: "Ian, that's my son.."
(yes, I know..the named "Ian" ..it's derived from "John"..as is..EVAN!!!)
..." has this dream to visit as many baseball parks as possible".
(OMG!! She was telling MY story!! to ME..who is actually living MY story!!))
..and so "after Alaska, we are going to Seattle so we can see a Mariner's game"
(Is she accessing my emails? Is that possible, Alexa, since I only met her like three hours ago?)
I'm telling you, if "Elizabeth" started complaining about her occasional sciatica flare-ups or her prowess at solving "Wheel of Fortune" bonus puzzles, I would swear to you all that I had been "punk'D"
She grew up in Bucks County PA, and now lives near the NJ shore..just like..uh..just like... ME!!!???
And my Uncle Moishe..my Uncle Moishe.. actually wanted my parents to name me..ELIZABETH!!
(My Hebrew name is Elka, for his and my Dad's maternal grandmother)
I was waiting for her to tell me about her vicious poodle that disrupts her sleep nightly, but the house lights dimmed and the subject never came up.
But I'm not convinced it WOULDN'T have.....
Summer nights! You gotta love 'em!!
No comments:
Post a Comment