Friday, April 5, 2019

The pelican grief

Hey Pelican Man!! 

(If you don't get the pop culture reference, then you never watched commercials about companies that drained clogged sinks and johns in the 70's)

OK, so during frolic time, maybe we didn't see a Frenchman get his back pelted by a school of silverfish like we did in 2015, but we did  get our National Geographic Moment when we saw a pelican expand his/her wings, swoop down, and swallow a fish in it's  massive bill.

We splashed and dodged waves and talked about weddings, Woodloch, and Joe Biden.

We had a yummy lunch of skewered beef and vegetables over rice. 

We show up at Coffee Games, and we're  the only ones over age twelve, and  we really shine in Name that Tune. 

 (I personally would have been OK with a missed question--the punishment was getting thrown into the pool)

So I drink it all in, the gorgeous surf, the sugary sand, the week of great laughs and blissful memories.

I finish a great book and I'm nearly finished a great vacation--one for the books.

As we're walking back to our five-trident room, I am counting the steps 'til we get there, the minutes 'til we get there, and my blessings.

I'm starting to feel a tad insecure by this point, wondering how I'll sustain any readers in the long run if I write a B-L-A-G, a boring blog that nobody can relate to.

Who's going to want to come back here if all I do is crow that I know it's Percy Sledge who sings, "When a Man Loves a Woman?"

I had nothing of substance to say and I started to think that maybe I never do.

Who will  read this crap?

Has having nothing to say ever stopped me  from blogging before?

So we enter the lobby and I hear the concierge talking about trouble at the airport, and I brush it off, thinking, "oh..that guest is probably flying back to someplace like Katmandu and they're having an airport issue."

We walk out of the lobby and I say to Jim, "do these halls seems a little darker than usual?"

He answers, "well..we've had perfect weather..no storms all week, so it can't possibly be a power outage"

We enter our room and discover there is no A/C, Wifi, or lights. 

I am sweaty from the walk and have to take a shower in the dark, so I cannot tell you what I washed my hair with.

I can tell you it won't make a bit of difference if it was conditioner or maple syrup. 

Jim walks back to reception to check out the story.

I am prepared to hear that an anonymous but selfish guest left a useless flat iron plugged in all night and it caused a resort-wide outage.

First I blame me, and then I blame Trump, thinking he's going to leave me without avocados and without electricity.

Jim returns from the reception area and says, "well..the good news is..the dining hall is fully functional and we'll be fed tonight"

He adds:  "But there is a power outage over the entire Yucatan Peninsula."

I stand there for a  moment, hoping that my less than perfect aptitude in geography can convince me that Cancun is in some other part of Mexico--or in some other country in Mexico, that's not the Yucatan Peninsula.

Jim wanted an adventurous trip--and now he's got it.

I pictured melting in my sleep, starving because I refuse to eat a dinner of an olive on a Ritz cracker, or passing out because I can't check Facebook.

I picture all of this as I jot my notes  on the patio overlooking the water as the sun starts to set when all of a sudden, I hear a round of applause from all the neighbors in this row,

The power has been restored..in the nick of time.

But yeah, I'm still worried that everyone is losing interest...

No comments:

Post a Comment