Jim is bathing in all the warm birthday wishes, and I spent the day bathing in warmer, gentler waves.
The Jersey Shore has left the Dominican Republic.
There were waves, but the fun kind.
The kind you'd pay for if waves were hair, while yesterday's waves were unruly kinks that frustrate your hair stylist.
Yesterday's were the kind of waves that knock the wind out of you while you're tumbling like a dryer sheet.
I was too weary and too freaked about the return of Corona Two , the frog who dropped out of apparently nowhere, to blog last night, but there wasn't really to much to say.
We saw the "Grease!" show, and while I wouldn't exactly call it lousy ("with viriginity!..Won't go to bed 'til I'm happily wed--I can't..I'm Sandra Dee!") it wasn't the "Grease!" production you've seen a half dozen times at a dinner theater or your kid's summer camp.
The women wore poodle skirts and ponytails, but the shirtless men(again with the shirtless-ness..any excuse!!) wore bath towels and carried foam back scrubbers with bars of soap in their free hands, and I just don't recall Travolta doing this in the film version.
Also: There was never a dog that looked like Clifford, the Big Red Dog, in any production I've seen, even 'though this dog had brown fur.
Again, I'm not the target audience for this highly improvised presentation of the musical, but what we did love was the live music after dinner.
Jim calls it "Euro Disco" although I'm not sure if that's a real thing.
They are songs like "Free From Desire" and "C'est La Vie" and "Titanium" and "Mr. Saxobeat"..songs that make you want to don a sequined blazer and kick up your heels and shimmy--IF, and "I GOTTA FEELING" some readers will relate to what I'm about to say--IF you could possibly get your sixty-something body out of the comfortable chair.
One woman sang all of these and more in her sequined dress, without stopping to take a breath, without missing a single choreographed move, with apparently not giving one iota that she is not a size six, bless her chubby little heart.
I told Jim to make a mixed tape of this awesomeness--I'll never leave the pool when we open it next May if I do pool exercises to these songs.
The "Chief de Village" stops by our spot and tells us about the barbecue taking place momentarily, and he adds, while looking me directly in the eye, "and this time..there WILL be meat!"
WTF??
How the hell could he have possibly known that he hurt my feelings by raving about the French Canadian's "wolf" fish, while ignoring my filet mignon?
Have any of you shared the blog?
(It's okay if you have.)
But it didn't matter anyway, because as we started to walk to the grill area, it started to drizzle, and by the time we got to the grill area, the drizzle became a monsoon.
It was so freaky!
Staff members were pampering us and throwing dry towels our way, but I could nonetheless pass for a drowned rat by the time I reached a covered structure.
And we walked by the BBQ and saw more octopus anyway, so there's that.
OMG..I almost forgot to tell you about the most important part of the day!
We saved four beach lounges early this morning for Norika and Daniel, who've become readers of the blog. She was a good sport about my implication that she's an exhibitionist, saying that Europeans don't think twice about changing on the beach.
We shouldn't either, especially considering how filthy the changing rooms are at the Jersey shore.
Norika sets her stuff up but then disappears, for what seemed to be a long time. I knew she wasn't changing into her bathing suit, so where could she have possibly gone?
Jim and Daniel are engaged in a conversation about socialized medicine and immigration, free college tuition, etc. It was so interesting to hear two bright sexy men exchange ideas, when all of a sudden Norika appears.
..With a birthday cake for Jim!
He was so touched and so stunned!
There were no candles(they could have been hazardous in that wind) but there were nice bite sized pieces of a tiramasu cake with a creme brulee glaze, and I honestly couldn't tell you what was sweeter, this delicious little surprise or the beautiful woman who served it.
They are the loveliest of the lovely couples!
After the efficent (very efficient!!) staff mopped up the remnants of the storm, we opted for the buffet lunch.
There were tons of choices, but it's really hard to convey exactly what you want when everyone's masked and nobody understands what you're saying anyway.
You just point at what you want included in your Asian Rice Bowl and hope for the best.
As long as masked are still required, the resort should provide dry erase boards and markers, so a person could "draw" what they want to eat.
I personally would love to have a crack at drawing that "wolf" fish.
I wouldn't EAT it, but I'd love to sketch it..maybe add a fake mustache and a monocle and a beanie cap just to be whimsical.
If a contestant on "Survivor" caught a fish that size, they'd never get their torch snuffed out.
What's the expression? Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat forever?
I don't know why I'm taxing my brain to remember this, I wouldn't eat a fish that size under any circumstance, even if it had a cute little beanie cap.
We are going to a very special sit down restaurant for the birthday boy's dinner.
All kinds of expensive steaks for a nominal fee.
(right..like I didn't influence THAT decision)
The theme tonight is "all white" which bothers me, not because of its racist implications, but because nobody wears white after Labor Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment