Monday, August 5, 2024

A day in Hollywood.. A night at the Griffith?

Sunday: 

okay.. 

I’m going to recap yesterday’s happenings before I tell you about today’s. 

Today started off great and ended with a nasty Uber driver who had no air conditioning and no manners: who spent the entire ride texting and making moves that violated about a half dozen traffic laws.

He was the polar opposite of our morning driver but I’ll get to that later.

We get to the hotel, hot and exhausted, only to find out that housekeeping has left us unmade beds and no towels. They left overflowing  trash cans and …they left for the day. 

I liked this Omni Hotel prior to this, except for the fact that their kiddie sized pool has only ladders and no steps. 

Not very friendly to swimmers with sciatica.

Anyway. 

This is already boring. 

Let’s concentrate on blog worthy stuff from yesterday.

 The day started with a trip to the Hollywood Museum, with lots of vintage gowns and jewelry and accessories.. that held my interest so maybe part of me is a girly girl after all. Everything was pink and sparkly and Evan found a piece of the original Hollywood sign, a graffiti filled “H” that looked nothing like an H, but whatevs.

We saw annotated scripts from “The Three Stooges” that were protected under a foot of unbreakable glass. 

Oh really?? 

You think someone is going to steal your director’s note, describing the angle from which  Moe is going to toss that banana cream pie?

The museum had interesting relics, one being an original Mel’s Diner that was part of the establishment.

 My millennial son has no sentimental attachment to to “American Graffiti “ or “Happy Days” so he schlepped four blocks that were insanely crowded with Batman and Supermen who smelled like rotting cheese just to get an authentic “In and Out” burger that he snuck into Mel’s anyway, without us green lighting it.

“Happy Days” he says while sneaking a fry that Jim tried to hide behind his colorful menu. “Isn’t that like “That 70’s Show?” But in the fifties?”

Jim and I were sharing a malted, promising to go steady and to always Like Ike. 

It was really a swell meal.

After lunch, we took an Uber to the Warner Brothers backstage tour which we haven’t done since 2019 and Evan’s never done.

It was thrilling to find ourselves back at the gazebo in the center of Stars Hollow, as Evan shared my joy vicariously, knowing I’m a rabid fan of all things “Gilmore Girls.”

This was his first time experiencing all the magic and all the fakeness of movie making. 

He was in awe and I was in a microwave oven.

Yeah.. the tram was that hot.

We visited the set of a show I don’t watch called “All  American “ with Taye Diggs. Everyone was rapt and I kept praying I wouldn’t pass out onto a slab of concrete from all the heat. 

There was a lot of repetition from our Paramount Studios tour but if you’re in Hollywood and can only chose one, we’d recommend Warner Brothers.

They’ve got fresher paint and the fountain from “Friends” and a driver who encourages passengers on the tram to clap at the precise moment the theme song wants you to clap.

And they have Gilmores!!

We next took an Uber to Griffith  Observatory and the driver deserved a hundred dollar tip for navigating all those twisty roads.

Evan wanted to see this for the pop culture connection with “BoJack Horseman “ and I wanted to recreate that romantic date between Mia and Sebastian from “LaLa Land” with my steady. 

The views were stunning, the crowds were off the charts, especially the incoming ones hoping to catch the sun setting. If you can’t parallel park, you might as well not go. I’ve never seen so many cars on any street before.. not ever.

Uber drivers apparently don’t pick up for a return trip from the top of the hill but a free shuttle can get you where you need to be for pick up.

The problem was, we couldn’t figure out where to exit the shuttle and when we finally did, we were in the middle of nowhere that resembled any part of Los Angeles. 

Jim is hangry and irrational: I am hot and too achy to walk  so I’m equally irrational, and Evan was irrationally concerned that I’d give  Jim his pin back and tell him to look for a niftier dame. 

It all turned out fine. 

Evan did some research and we found a wonderful Italian restaurant right near the hotel. 

No more malarkey from us. 

We came back to the hotel, freshened up, and collapsed into a deep slumber, keeping Evan awake on the rollaway bed.

Not because he was worried that his parents were snapping at each other but because we apparently entered a World Champion Snoring Competition, which I won, according to my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment