Welcome to the Virgin Islands!
Don’t even try to make a stupid joke.
This isn’t a Star Trek convention.
Jim is obsessed with how the elevators work.
You press a pad outside of the elevator with your floor request, and an arrow will indicate what elevator you need. There are no buttons inside. No smart little kids pushing it eighteen times just for laughs and to annoy grownups.
Speaking of little kids, we get into the elevator and there’s a man with his two small ones saying “I can’t wait to get off of this goddamn ship!”
One wonders what could have possibly happened to him that made him want to channel Rose DeWitt Bukater.
Today’s excursion was to Coral World Ocean Park in St. Thomas.
We rode in an open air tram, which at first seems like it could be fun, but my left leg was dangling out the whole time. In heavy traffic, where drivers drive on the left side as they navigate hills and aggression.
It really didn’t bother me.
I have sciatica.
Losing a limb would be no biggie.
The aquarium was small, but amazing .
At first, it was all about the sharks. The shark expert assured us that humans are never their prey.
They are only interested in blubbery creatures that smell like fish .
Just stop!
That’s a very old reference!
Just stop!!
Leave the self-deprecation to me.
After the sharks, we watched dolphins being fed .
I watched the backs of little children’s heads.
Dolphins are their whole word, not necessarily mine.
After that, we visited some really exciting turtles.
It’s easy to make a turtle happy.
Some lettuce, some tomato, cucumber, and they’re good to go. Turtles aren’t allowed to drink sea water. They get all their liquid requirements from the food they eat. I’d be in trouble if that were a requirement of my diet.
You don’t get much water from salsa and chips.
Water temperature actually determines whether the turtle will be male or female . That’s what Jim heard anyway.
Something about the warmth of their eggs?
Mother nature should not be determining gender!
( let’s make the Republicans crazy.)
Our last visitor was the best .
First of all, the room was delightfully air-conditioned and there was plenty of seating .
We sat in a dark room when the two females on the staff roped off a section of it . After their introduction, in waddles Omar, the most entertaining sea creature I’ve ever been up close and personal with.
Omar, the sea lion, will clap his hands on demand and smile on demand and even bark, or more specifically, roar, like a lion on demand.
He slapped the butt of one of his trainers with his enviable fins and he rolled over for a welcoming belly rub.
He was so lovable. L
Sea lions are basically puppies.
Charlotte, his trainer,said that he is rather lightweight at 350 pounds .
Once he hits the Windjammer buffet here, that number will change.
This was a really outstanding excursion and I am very glad we booked it .
We’re setting sail now towards the Bahamas. I’ve never been to Coco Cay, the private island owned by Royal Caribbean,but I’m looking forward to it.
I know the whole purpose of booking the trip was to celebrate our anniversary and to give me my beach fix , but now all I think about is how kidnap a sea lion and bring him home in my luggage.
No comments:
Post a Comment