Thursday, October 12, 2017

The not so wonderful wizard of oz

The quintessential London experience ended with theater in the West End, and..this may make me a little..uh..unpopular, because I loved "Wicked"..the costumes, the lyrics, the performances, my brilliant husband comparing it to "Star Wars" or "Phantom" but as an Oz purist..I had some issues, but that's mostly because I'm bat shit crazy. I always said I hate fantasy movies and Jim argues with me that I don't, because I love TWOO, which I swore is NOT fantasy but a musical about relationships.  But "Wicked" kind of made me a liar in the Harry Potterized version of the beloved movie. I wanted to believe that the Wicked Witch of the West was Miss Gulch, the dog hater on the bike and a figment of Dorothy's concussion, not someone I'd find at Pantsuit Nation. I don't like to see Glinda as basically a Kardashian. I mean, if they were determined to mess with character motivation and background stories, couldn't they have concentrated on characters I'm not emotionally invested in, like  Auntie Em or the aggressive apple tree?  For God's sakes peeps, this went beyond revisionist history, this was revisionist Wiz-story. With amazing production values. At a London theater where you don't get a Playbill so you don't know why everyone lost their shit when the Wicked Witch came out.  Everyone but us. I don't like change, you folks know that about me.  They might as well have made Toto a raccoon or made the Lion ask Oz for erectile dysfunction meds.  So yes, I LOVED it, I did, but I am a purist.  (And bat shit crazy)  Producers need to consult with an Oz expert like me next time they have an idea.  I will tell them, let's do a musical about the actress who played the Wicked Witch of the West.  We can call it Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment