Saturday, October 14, 2017
Utah bitch
The second excursion was very inspiring, and I'll try to describe it with as little snark as possible. I turned into Tofu Karen, absorbing all the flavors around me, and I became tres French. Jim is fussing with his phone and his camera so much that I created a verb for it--which is basically the last name of every husband of every friend I have. But who am I to talk? He snaps photos all day, and I vigorously blog. He was losing his patience en route to our destination, where I still saw the gorgeous countryside, the verdant lands peppered with cows. He says to me: "OK..so you can multi task..before we get to the museum, tell me everything you know about Utah Beach" and I look up and say "Utah has a beach?" and he replies"you're lucky you're a good cook." (Just kidding--I really replied: "Yes, I saw "Saving Private Ryan" and he said: "just kidding too..I'M lucky you're a good cook.") We make a stop in a village(the name escapes me) filled with structures and churches. It was known for being the place where several paratroopers crashed in an effort to get to Normandy Beach." The guide asks: "Does anyone know what the movie "The Longest Day?" was about and Jim yanked my hand down before I could answer: "Isn't that a documentary that describes when a patient has a head cold and needs five minutes of their doctor's time?" Our guide tells us that it was an exciting WWII movie with John Wayne and it was about D-Day. It sounds a little manly to me but I don't know, if Trump gets impeached I'll give it a whirl. The museum at Utah Beach was really exciting, it was! We saw a wonderful documentary with real footage that detailed the tense hours leading up to the Normandy Invasion(and it filled in all the gaps I missed when I couldn't hear the guide) and then we saw some fascinating displays of WWII memorabilia. I loved seeing the yellowing love letters that GI's sent their wives(and no, none of them accused their wives of being the reason "Moonlight" beat "La La Land" for Best Film) and the entire display was fascinating, it really was. Old Life magazines, old sticks of gum and cigarettes, even a plate of uneaten food from a brave soldier. We had a lot of mist and a very high tide, but I will not complain about poor visibility. Not when I learned what those brave soldiers did for me nearly seventy years ago, when they had to worry about a lot more than getting back to the ship on time for "Name That Tune." I felt so patriotic--which I needed to feel. The ride back was picturesque and Alex continued his inspired narration, but he was hard to hear over all those morons blocking out his voice and complaining that the air conditioning wasn't working properly, and yeah, I was one of those morons. Want to make something of it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment