It's been thirty two years since I had to say goodbye to my Dad, and I attempted to write my first version of "The Phone Call", for him, the vignette I've been doing for a few years now on the anniversary of my Mom's death in February.
My annual phone call with my Mom is always a comfort..I recommend that every who needs to talk with a deceased love one try writing their own conversations.
I tried, but all I was coming up with was this:
" The Phone Call... With Dad"
The time: Now
The Place: Not sure--someplace where the Flyers are on a constant loop on a flat-screen TV, where someone refreshes a plate of miniature salamis and hot peppers every hour.
Scene I Act I
ME: Hi Dad.
Dad: Hi Agrisinious. Or is it Felicia now? If I call you Karen, it means you're in trouble.
ME: Anyone called Karen these days is in trouble. You've missed a lot, Dad..the death of my name, the Trump presidency, a pandemic, the Eagles winning the 2018 Super Bowl..oh..and you've got two beautiful great grandchildren now. It's been thirty-two years since we last spoke..your turn!
Dad: Hold on..I'll put your mother on the phone..
FADE OUT
If the conversation COULD be a little longer, I'd tell him how much he's still living in the soul of his brilliant, sarcastic, animal-loving, sports obsessed, political junkie grandson who is named after him, my son Evan..
No comments:
Post a Comment