I shouldn't be in a business that serves the public.
Sure, it's a creative outlet for me to write personalized lyrics to well-known songs in order to celebrate special occasions, but sometimes it can be challenging.
I had to mention the word "manifold" in a singing telegram I wrote yesterday, having no idea what a manifold is.
But then I'll get the impossible to please customer, who nit picks everything, even when I found a good rhyme for words like "anti-biotic" or "dishwasher."
And even with my probing skills acquired as a journalism major, there are people who have absolutely nothing to say about the recipient of the singing gift.
"Tell me about your Mom", I'll ask.
"Well..she's really a nice person" they respond.
"That's really not enough to work with..can you delve a little?"
"Well..she's average height..average weight..gray hair..she really likes her family!"
"Again..that stuff is a given that she's "nice" and "likes her family." Can you give me an anecdote? Tell me about her hobbies! Does she have a pet?"
"Well..geez..I don't know..I mean, she raised me and my brothers and sisters but I guess I don't know her all that well"
"And how old is she turning?"
"She'll be ninety-two on Tuesday. I guess I need to spend more time with her to get to really know her."
Ugh!
What would I do if I had a service job that wasn't fun and creative? One that required actual WORK?
Can you imagine me waiting tables??
"I took that soup back three times, lady..first it's too hot, then it's too cold..if you go all Goldilocks on me one more time we're gonna test the soup temperature by pouring it on your head"
She'd look at me with pity and say, "I'm sorry dear. I turn 92 on Tuesday and I'm afraid my kids are going to ignore me..or have absolutely nothing interesting to say about me..Can you bring me something else, dear? I don't like this soup""
No comments:
Post a Comment