Big, big, BIG improvements in episode three of "And Just Like That."
I've read a lot of posts from disappointed fans that were unhappy with the first two offerings.
So much so that they're giving up.
I wasn't like them
I didn't dislike the episodes, but I didn't love them as much as I should, being the kind of fan that I am/was.
(I was always a BIG fan, except for the movies, especially the second one..don't get me started)
I wanted the reboot to be "Must See STREAMING "..not, "we'll see..we'll see if we can be bothered"
(and..this is not a major spoiler if you haven't tune in yet, I'm not just talking about that scene with Harry Goldenblatt)
Because of my (cursed!) memory, I was not shocked with how the first episode ended.
I read more than two years ago that there was a rumor going around that Mr. Big was going to have a fatal heart attack in the shower, and the more the rumor was squelched, the more I believed it.
So even 'though I LIKED the first two episodes(and got emotional whenever Willie Garson was on screen) I felt that the writer struggled too hard--to be current, to be edgy. It was contrived. The characters were overwritten and catoonish.
It's like, "OK..we KNOW..we remember when the original series aired and Samantha was hot but the technology was not..at least to THIS degree, we GET it"
But there was no forced dialogue in "When in Rome" so for all you die-hards that gave up, please come back..
You won't regret it. You can even watch this one with the men in your life.
This is the "Sex and the City" you fell in love with in the nineties..this is the hilarious, poignant, relatable show where the fashions and the city were major characters, but the heart of the show was all about the female bonding.
Sara Ramirez is a FANTASTIC addition..her stand-up comedy is actually something I would pay to see.
( I've said this about the comedy in "Hacks" as well, as Jean Smart plays Deborah Vance with such..smartness. I wish I could say the same about "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I love the show and the acting is wonderful, but I don't think I ever laughed out loud--or even silently--at one line from any of Midge's gigs. The actress is terrific but deserves better material, in my opinion. Her manager Susie, played touchingly by Alex Borstein, is not supposed to be a paid comedienne, but her lines earned more genuine laughs)
I'm going off track again, but if you considered dropping this reboot after the first two episodes, then you need to consider reconsidering.
There's even an element of mystery here..it's the best episode of the very new season so far.
"And just like that.." I've vowed to stop reading reviews that start off with "and just like that"
I can't help but wonder... if perhaps it's time to use a different catch-phrase when we discuss the show???
No comments:
Post a Comment