Thursday, December 30, 2021

Something familiar.. a comedy tonight..

I haven't done a pop culture update in a few days, but since Facebook asked me what's on my mind, I'll tell them.  (and you)

We've been scheduling fewer and fewer trips to see theatrical  movies, which is making me miserable (yes, and keeping me healthy, I know, I know), but after starting the week with the unexpectedly fantastic "Red Rocket" we went to an uncrowded matinee the following day for the very schmaltzy "A Journal for Jordan."  

Schmaltz can be great--in homemade chopped liver or in "American Underdog" and while this Denzel Washington-directed vehicle wasn't awful, I can't recommend it.  It was a little too sappy for my taste.

I did go home to tune in a wonderful documentary.."Just a Girl Who Decided to Go For It"--the story of EGOT winner Rita Moreno.  It's  wonderful insight into the life of this amazing woman.  If you liked her before, you will LOVE her after seeing this.

Last night was a night of misogyny, as we decided we needed some laughs and opted for comedy specials instead of starting a new series(tons have been recommended) or trying to find a film that's getting award buzz.  (We're both leery of that, after the disaster that was "Annette"..the only performance that wasn't wooden was by the marionette)

Brian Regan and Patton Oswald both had their moments in their individual specials,  but I'm getting a little too old to laugh at dick jokes.

Unless they're uttered by the women in "And Just Like That."

I know I say this weekly, but this show is the one I'm enjoying the most--maybe in all of 2021. 

 "Painfully Hip" may be the best episode yet, although I say that every week. 

The writing actually makes me giddy and dizzy.  It's that good.

Back in the day, a lot of my friends couldn't understand why I watched a show about promiscuous fashionistas, but I loved it in spite of myself.

 And whenever I was asked THE question(other than how could a self-proclaimed feminist like that show?) I'd answer:  "Carrie"...the one I identified with most because of her interest in writing, and how nurturing she was with her friends.  

But now...I identify with all three women, even 'though I'm a decade older than them.  I love the new versions of Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte..and the writers give the talented actresses so much material to work with,  not just tulle for tutus.

I used to say I'd never be friends with any of them in real life..nor would they have ever welcomed me into their circle.

But now..yeah, I could see being friends with all of them.  Not "change your sheets after you soak them" friends, but I'd send them lots of Facebook messages, knowing the conversation would go way beyond, "what are you wearing, Karen?"

If they asked me that question, I'd answer, but they're not the dreaded small talkers I come across too often.  

"Sex and the City" was a fantasy, and the reboot is a little bit as well, but it's a fantasy infused with credibility.. 

What a winning combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment