Sunday, August 21, 2022

Cabin fever

I'm sitting here in front of an open window in just a bra and underwear..is anyone doing likewise?

The only "neighbor" that could be a peeping tom would be some kind of water fowl, but we departed a good ten minutes ago and I haven't seen anything with feathers or wings. take offense. 

And besides, I have a dream..I have a dream that one day we less than perfect bikini models will be judged not by the content of our undergarments but the content of our character.

I got to know a lot of the members of our group today--a cast of characters that I had only known from Audrey's Facebook group up to this point, and they all seem like people I've known for decades.

I only met Audrey herself a handful of times--starting with the 2010 camp reunion--but she is a live wire with wonderful stories, and she's a knowledgable travel agent to boot.

Plus, I am still flattered that she was called onto stage at Madison Square Garden, in front of thousands of fans of Bruce Springsteen, who saw her dance with him..her absolute idol--and you could clearly hear her mouthing, on the Jumbo-trom at MSG,  "You know Bruce..I'd LOVE to dance with you right now but I'm so preoccupied with the idea that it's Karen's sixtieth birthday, because..you know..I met her that one time.."

No, that did not happen, of course it did not happen, but Audrey is a pistol and seems to have a knack for getting the perfect photo op or autograph with the most beloved stars of music, movies, and sports.

I was afraid I would not get to wear a single packed bathing suit, but it was really quite hot in Seattle, and the pool was inviting, and it had a normal pool color, not like our new liner at home and yeah, okay, I promised to stop being such a Karen about that.

This cabin is lovely but I don't think it could accomodate another living thing, not even a drunken gnat.  And I didn't watch the video beforehand, so I had no idea that one needed to insert a room key into a slot in order to fill the cabin with light, so while Audrey once got to experience "Dancin' in the Dark" with the Boss..I got to experience..something that should never be experienced in total blackness.

Our cabin steward arrived with the luggage and we honestly didn't see how it was even remotely possible that two large trunks could be crammed into these tiny living quarters, but it worked.

But I couldn't open my suitcase..there was no room to put it, and it was too heavy to put on the bed and it would have caused a major back injury to try to spread it out of the floor, so, and how I wished we had filmed this comedic moment--Jim tossed me the garments, one by one, like those fish mongers did in Seattle's Pike Place Market, as eager customers waited for the chance to catch today's catch. Jim was interested at the time, but had no idea how to bring fresh fish home eight days from now, and I thought:  "Well..your suitcase isn't going to smell any worse than it already does from the pants you wore four days in a row, so what the hell, throw in a grouper or two"

Bathing suits and bras and dressy blouses and novely tees were tossed one by one--Jim would toss, I would catch, and it was an Olympic challenge to put each item in the closet or the drawer before the next was hurled across the king sized bed.

Think Lucy and Ethel and the chocolates on the conveyer belt.

Remember  how I always say I hate fashion and I don't care about clothes?

I think I'm a pathological liar.

I had Jim order item after item on Amazon, and I had fashionista Tami buy a lot of cruise stuff  for me from Kohl's, and I was too lazy to do a proper inventory or pack wisely.

I just threw everything into the suitcase willy nilly--as long as it had a price tag, it made the trip--even if I didn't try it on.

Guess what I packed??

ELEVEN pairs of pants that may or may not fit or may or may not be weather appropriate.

And I'd do it again if it meant I didn't have to be organized. and actually THINK about what to pack.

If I can muster up the energy to put something over these undergarments, we'll have a nice dinner, and then see a comic, and then a Beatles' show, and then maybe some trivia..

Who am I kidding?  There's no room for me to even get up from this chair.

Getting esxcited now..and probably getting exposed to a million little germs, but we're off to a great start

No comments:

Post a Comment