Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Dinky flop..

Oh, you lucky bastards with your allergies to shellfish, nuts, or penicillin! I am allergic to the Mediterranean Sea, or so it would seem since  every time I try the pool or hot tub I come out with itchy bumps.  We had a great lunch with a couple from Perth who sell hedges and plants that we "wouldn't know about because we have cold winters in NJ." Their home and pool sounded so beautiful...and they are a short walk away from a beach with sugar white sand and turquoise water.  I was in heaven and they add "it's the shark capital of the world--we lost two neighbors this year alone." Their adorable Aussie kids, Sophie and Blake, loved my "cute" American accent..they were so happy to hear how Americans talk--but I hope they get to dine with someone other than me, who never quite lost that Philly accent and the mispronounced vowels. The mom and dad, Tom and Lisette, asked me if I can tell what part of the country someone is from by the way they talk since there aren't too many regional dialects Down Under. I answer "yes, someone from Alabama sounds quite different from a New Yorker."  I add:" Jim is from Ohio and still has a mid-western speech pattern and even after nearly twenty-seven years of marriage, I can only understand about a third of what he says." We are having such a Woodlochian day at sea, even 'though I'm always itching about something. Today's theme is music from the 50's and 60's. We were OK with the Anagram Challenge(On Losers Glint is the Rolling Stones and Sourness of Hate is The Four Seasons. The Loose Dumby is a scrambled version of The Moody Blues.  If you leave a nice comment on my actual blog, I'll continue to give you challenging puzzles like "Dinky Flop," We didn't do very well at the next game. which was identifying 50's and 60's singers and bands by their photos.  It was interesting hearing Brits call out answers to UK bands, but people like us who think Donna Summer is Melba Moore don't deserve to win another yellow highlighter. And who besides us can't tell Connie Francis from Annette Funicello? So ignore me next time I boast about how pop culture savvy I am..what sane person can't tell the difference between Pat Boone and Eddie Fisher?

No comments:

Post a Comment