Sunday, April 26, 2026

The Sheepshead Bay Experience

​A year ago, on a drizzly, kind of grey evening, I boarded a Brooklyn bound bus with maybe two dozen people, many whom I had never met, wearing shoes that were way too big and having  a heart that was way too full, to travel to a  beautiful  Russian banquet hall in Sheepshead Bay, where in a few hours I’d officially gain a new title: mother in law!


What a year it’s been, from the second reception in the fall that observant relatives could attend, to buying and beautifying your new home, to the unforgettable adventures and memories made during your honeymoon in Barcelona, to the shared grief we experienced just  last month in the veterinary hospital as we tearfully said goodbye to Luke. 


There were mini vacations in the Poconos and exciting theater and our first movie as a family! (“Marty Supreme” on Christmas Day) 


There were some great dinners( like the one for our thirty sixth anniversary) and some moments we were all in awe, like seeing the spectacular gift my new daughter in law created for Evan’s thirtieth birthday last  July.


It was a year of special events, like Gaby’s graduation, and baseball games, ( when Amtrak ruined your first attempt to see the Boston Red Sox last August, but cousins Reid and Joni more than made up for it by presenting you with tickets and New  England hospitality a month later) and a year of  just enjoying wonderful tv ( like “The Pitt” and “The Studio”) together and having meaningful discussions after. 


In this year of getting  to know my daughter in law, I’ve witnessed  her brilliance ( watch “Jeopardy!” with  her.. or “The One Percent Club” .. she even gives me a run for my  money with “Wheel of Fortune”) and  more impressively , I’ve witnessed her incredible  thoughtfulness and kindness.


Thank  you Michelle, for my “label”.. being your mother in law is an honor!


Enjoy your Weekend in New England ( c’mon, daughter in law.. I know you can rattle off at least ten more Barry Manilow songs  off the top of your head in the next sixty seconds!!) 


Michelle, may you forever be my son’s favorite “Dancing Queen.” 


You’ve only just begun…

No comments:

Post a Comment