Friday, April 3, 2026

On the road to Amelia

​Why is this day different than all other days??


On all other days, I’d be reclining with my  bare feet up on a lounger, remote in one hand, phone in the other, belching up the chocolate protein shake I had earlier that morning, complaining about the unpredictable weather while waiting for “The View” to start.


On all other days, I’d be looking at my  overpacked suitcase in the dated  tiled foyer, waiting for the airport taxi, while my poor miniature  poodle had a full blown anxiety attack, noticing the luggage and wondering how many days that meant we’d be gone.


But on this day, this trip, we no longer have a tiled foyer. 


We have a bare cement one, courtesy of leaky pipes. 


( May flooding be the only plague we are subjected to, although we’re Florida bound, so I can’t guarantee we’re not going to encounter some angry frogs, boils,  pestilence, and  UFOs)


And sadly, this day is different from all other (trip)  days because we only have memories of that hyper poodle who’d bark at suitcases like they were home invaders. 


( but those memories are nonetheless cherished ones)


We’re in the air, Jacksonville-bound. 


Jacksonville, Florida… famous for  the.. 


I have no clue.


 I’ll find out when we land.


Or I won’t.


But it’s the airport you fly to the day before you board the ship, the Glory, on a seven day excursion on the Intercoastal Waterway on American Cruise Lines.


We are in our seventies and will be the youngest on board, as I anticipate it’s going to be eighty percent MAGA and twenty percent people I don’t want to get to know.

 


I can already hear those staffers on the excursion buses, where a fifteen minute ride is going to feel like a three hour tour.


A three hour tour. 


( those words should but don’t rhyme. Who knows why??)


And this is for you, Rita!


When the staffers encourage us to join in for a rousing round of “ 99 bottles of beer on the wall” I’m gonna sing my own lyrics:


 “Ninety nine  is the median age.. of everyone on this ship. Ninety want their dinners at four.. ninety broke a hip!”


Our departure port is Amelia Island.


There’s something about Amelia and boy, am I ever dating myself with that reference.


I like dating myself.. I am good company. 


Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment